My husband isn't being supportive!

I am a stay at home mom and own my own business and my husband is totally against this....he says I should get rid of my business and get a "real" job! It is infuriating to me because I am passionate about my business! What would you do if you were me?

thaddysmom

Asked by thaddysmom at 11:00 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Money & Work

• Have you told him how you feel about the business? Just sit him down and explain to him that it is important to you and its not something you are willing to give up on! Good luck!
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 11:02 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• If its the same thing that I am doing you have every right to be! My hubby wasn't very supportive either until he seen my first good check! He'll come around when the money starts rolling in. Mine thought I just "stumbled" upon something at first but now he supports me. Give it time.
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 11:06 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Men tend to understand things like profit and loss sheets. So do a profit and loss statement. Let him see what you're bringing in with the job you have. Do remember the taxes among the expenses.

AND do your research to see what the profit and loss would be for an out of home job. Find out what the average salary is for your field in your area through salary.com. Check out the cost of commuting, clothes, childcare, the whole nine yards.

TYPICALLY the numbers come out in favor of an at-home business. But even if they don't, the two of you can have a discussion based in FACT rather than feelings.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:01 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Is it profitable? What would you do with your child(ren) if you had to work outside the home? For some people its more cost efficient to stay home, so if you're turning a bigger profit with your business, then you would be getting an outside job that would require hiring childcare then SHOW him that like gdiamante said.

Good luck, men can be such tools sometimes ;)

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 12:04 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I met a woman who had an unsupportive hubby she then went on to build her business and earn all sorts of stuff and put money aside and then divorced him and is not LOVING LIFE!!! I'm NOT saying divorce your hubby but maybe he needs to see what will actually come out of your business. Show him I did a show or I sold this and that but I made this much. Then maybe he will come around. Also show him what paying a sitter or getting child care would do if you had to "get a real job." For me if I had to "get a real job." I would never see my kids. I wouldn't be able to afford day care so I would NEED to work nights and in turn never see my family. I LOVE my at home business and if you are passionate about yours hen I say GOOD LUCK!!!!!
    rocamom

Answer by rocamom at 1:47 PM on Aug. 21, 2009