question for facebook users

I'm asking here, because I find FB very Un-user friendly and do not see a help icon anywhere on the page. Is there a way to set your account settings so that people have to "ask to be your friend?" Like our invites here? I have been added as a friend to numerous people I do not know, but we did go to the same highschool. I haven't talked to them in 20 years. I just find it unnerving to be automatically a friend without some kind of confirmation.

luvschocolate

Asked by luvschocolate at 11:17 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I don't know. I didn't set up that part of mine and it automatically asks me every time.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• if you look in the upper right hand corner there are privicy settings and you can change everything to private or only you friends can see, so you should be able to change that. i always had to have people ask, i never heard of you atomatically becoming a friend.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 11:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• FB will make suggestions about people you may want to friend but I've never been automatically made friends eith anyone. They had to ask and me accept or vice versa.
    Kristin21

Answer by Kristin21 at 11:29 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Go into settings, next to your name. Click on privacy than you can change it from there
    jenzachsam

Answer by jenzachsam at 11:32 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• No one can automatically just be your friend on FB. Are you sure you're not just seeing the Friend Suggestions?
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:39 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• you have to accept ppl as friends, or if you add them they have to accept you..either which way they arent just gonna be on your friends list..unless you both accept!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:44 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• OP here :This person added me as a friend without asking. It said John Doe has added you as a friend. I had no option to say no thanks. All my privacy settings are friends only. He is not friends with my other friends and I honestly do not remember this person at all, even after looking at his wall and seeing his pic. any ideas? thanks fro all your help
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 4:51 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• WOW! That certainly adds a new twist doesn't it? If it were me, I'd wrote FB, tell them what happened and see if they can find who breached your privacy settings. Sorry that isn't much help but it's all I can think of at the moment.
    Kristin21

Answer by Kristin21 at 6:25 PM on Aug. 24, 2009