picky 13 year old

my 13 year old is so picky about cloths, shoes, and food im going crazy what do i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Set a budget and that is what she or he gets to spend. Cook what you want for dinner. Take it or leave it. grannywilson
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 12:10 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• She'll eat what you cook and she'll wear what you can afford to buy. What in the world gives her the right to be picky? She doesn't earn the money so she shouldnt worry about how it gets spent either. She's thiorteen and you're the parent, tell her what's going to happen and if she doesn't like it she can go to her room like a child and throw a hissy fit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Mine would like to be picky too, if they could be. You could try telling her what the budget is, handing her the cash, and go with her and let her spend it herself and see how far it goes with her shopping - that way, she'll see how quickly money can disappear firsthand. As far as food - I agree with grannywilson. If my kids or their friends don't like what I made for dinner, they know where the PB & J are! lol Good luck!
    MinstrelMommy

Answer by MinstrelMommy at 1:37 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• We did this with my 13 yr old DD. She wanted all these expensive clothes, Aeropostale, Abercrombie, Hollister.. we took her to the mall and handed her $100. Now go to your clothes shopping.
    She came back an hour later and begged for more money. We said no.
    Next week, we took her to a second hand boutique and handed her $50. She got twice as many clothes for half the price. Funny thing? Most of the like new clothes were Abercrombie, Aeropostale and Hollister.
    HA! Now she begs to go to the Boutique with just $20. :)
    other_mommy

Answer by other_mommy at 10:51 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Avoid the mall.

I was a fosterkid and couldn't believe how ungrateful some of the girls I lived with could be. A lot of their problems came down to power struggles, and they were HELLLA into image and brand names.

HollyLucination

Answer by HollyLucination at 1:34 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Its the stage..you WILL survive it...I did..course..now they say i'ma lil 'kookookachoo'.
    starrsun

Answer by starrsun at 4:22 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I read this different form the pp's I thought you meant about textures, fit and such. My 16 yo DS has always been picky about those things which drives me crazy! I have just learned to let him pick his clothes out, give him $250 for school clothes and it must include shoes, socks and underwear and let him go since he was 13 becuase hours in a mall with a son throwing a fit about how jeans don't fit his tree trunk thighs is not a good time for either of us!
    When it comes to food my DH is a very picky eater and I have always thought is was not fair to let him have a different meal but make DS eat what I wanted to eat, so he has always had the option to choose a bowl of cereal or sandwich but he had to make it.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 4:46 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• As for food, if she doesn't like what you make, she is old enough to make her own food. She can cook it, feed herself and clean up her own mess. As for clothes, set a dollar amount and tell her she can buy what she wants, but cannot go over the set amount.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:22 PM on Aug. 21, 2009