still not walking????

My baby just turned 16 month and is not walking. She isnt even standing by herself. I know that she knows how to do it, we can put her to stand and she does but once she see that she is she goes down n sit. I'm worried b/c she has been cruising since she was 5/6 months and she hasnt progress to walking yet. I would have thought since she started at that age she would have been walking no later then a year old. Right now she prefers to hold on to someones finger and then she goes like that but i noticed that she isnt pushin her weight on me anymore so its basically by herself im just back up but she refused to go alone. she started tryin to push herself up 4rm like she tring to stand but hasnt done it sucessfully yet. and she is also on the heavy side. So wat can i do to help her build the confience she needs so she can start walking b/c im starting to get ery worried and sad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do you have any push toys? Like a little car she can push around, or something like that? That might help to build up her confidence. You probably should speak with her pediatrician.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• she's probably just scared. you should have other kids her age come over and show her how they walk all by themselves. that might build her confidence.
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 12:37 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• wow...I have a few friends who had late walkers...If she is chubby sometimes it takes them longer to move...LOL Some babies it is self confidence. One girl I knew had a 13mos old who would literally run holding onto his moms finger but if she let go he freaked out! My 17mos old walked at 8mos and gets into everything! All my kids have walked young though. But believe me once she walks she will be into alot more stuff! Walking toys are agood idea though. But reality is she will walk when she is ready:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• It could be because of her weight. Or she could be scared. Is she climbing? Was she a preemie? I like someone else said, get her a push toy. I would talk to her pedi about it. She might benefit from physical therapy. They will work on her muscle strength and her confidence.
    sondamom0828

Answer by sondamom0828 at 4:59 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• If it's a confidence issue, get a push toy. She will be able to get from here to there faster, and then she'll realize that she can do it on her own.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 7:05 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• nope she wasnt a preemie or anything, and it seems like she can do everything but walk she knows how to get on and off the beds and couchesand right nwo she is just a one hander.. like she does everything using either hand as a surport on something she talks and everything so she is very up to date for most thing and even advance and some other things but just will not walk. her doc is well aware of this and hasnt put too much into the conversation about it yet. So i'm just not sure wat to do. She has 3 push to walk toys a car, like this piano thing, and this muti-toy thing that is really light ans she can go with all of them and then one day she just decided to not use them she screams and throws a fight wen we try to get her to walk alone with them, she all fallin out idk wat to do. She just really refuses to go.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:16 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I have a niece who did not walk until 17 or 18months. Some babies personalites are just so laid back. Myabe she is just not in any hurry to get around. My niece did not walk earlier because mom carried her a lot so she really didn't have a reason to.LOL. I am sorry you are so frustrated. Did you think about getting an oppinon from a Developmentalist? Try that if it will ease you mind.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:08 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• i want to clear up the fact that my baby is chubby and she has always been chubby this way in no way or form do i mean she is obesed or anything. she is 35in tall and weighs 29 pounds. so she is also on the tall side. I just wanted to clear that up since a mom(doodlebopfan) came on here and suggested that my child may be chubby for over eating which was very rude. And thank you to ther other ppl that politely. I appreacite ppl coming to help me with advice without find something to bash about. Thank you all!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Aug. 21, 2009