My 8 yr old son struggles with his reading

My 8 yr old son struggles with his reading in school. His first grade teacher had him take the ADD test and he barely scored over the line in 2 categories. My husband and I are against medicating my children and with him barely over the line I don't feel that it is necessary. He gets so frustrated when we do flash cards and informed me the other day that he was angry at himself. I encourage him but I don't know what to do.

bzy_mom777

Asked by bzy_mom777 at 11:22 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have you tried starfall.com? It's a very simple, free website that teaches reading from the very basics (upper & lower case) letters on up to reading. It's a lot of repeating, repeating, repeating... but with interactive activities & animation.

You could also ask this in the one of the many homeschooling groups here on CM. (Happy Homeschoolers is the largest). Many moms over there have/have had struggling readers and/or special needs kids.... maybe they can give you more ideas.

G'luck!
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:43 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• We get better at reading by reading. Take him to the library and let him check out some easy readers. Find something he is interested in. It might be some superhero or a subject that he would like to know more about. It might be snakes, or motors. Whatever it is check out several books at a time. Take turns . You read to him and then let him read to you. Let him show you the flashcards. Make bingo out of them. Play a match game. As far as the ADD, I would seriously take a look at his diet. For many children cutting out red dies and sugar can profoundly change their behavior.
    Happy Mothering. grannywilson
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 11:49 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Get some picture books. Read to him every afternoon and/or every night. You read one page, he reads one page. Some nights switch, you read it all - and make it fun, with voices, sound effects, the works so he enjoys the story time. Get him books easy enough to read aloud on his own and then ask HIM to read to you. Sometimes have him follow along with what you're reading and just stop, having him start reading wherever you left off, to make sure he is truly following along.As he gets better increase the difficulty of the books.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Read with him and read TO him.

Read with him books that are at his level--you read a page or two, and he reads a bit, etc. Out loud.

Read TO him books that are slightly above his level.

Get him books on tape or CD to listen to in the car or at home, and get him the book too so he can follow along.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 2:40 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• My daughter also struggles with reading at 7. I think that part of the problem is that it often feels like a chore to her. She is frustraited easily and I have to admit, I get that way as well. We have discovered that taking turns reading pages, or reading a book to her first helps take the pressure off. It's important for them not to see reading as a negative, unenjoyable experience. Find ways to make it fun. Pass notes. Send notes from you to school with him in his lunchbox or whatnot that he looks forward to reading. The Scholastic Magazine has really helped us beacuse it is fun. Oh, and help him when he struggles.
    Carrielou13

Answer by Carrielou13 at 4:31 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• His TEACHER gave him an ADD test? Bologna. If you suspect he has ADD, have him tested by a professional. The testing involves home and at school, and questionnaires answered by everyone who has daily contact with him. It's not a test a teacher can give.

Is medication needed? Not always. However, if he truly does have it (and I seriously doubt he does) then with an IEP (and you need an OFFICIAL diagnosis, not one by a teacher) he will be eligible for extra help if he needs it.

Stop flash cards. They don't do anything. How does he do with phonics? Get books that he's interested in, don't push him but go at his pace. Make it fun, not a chore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• take him to half-price book or library and let him picked out his own books
    6lilprinces

Answer by 6lilprinces at 11:46 PM on Aug. 21, 2009