Pre-K refuses to call my 4 yr old DD by her name!!

Here is my problem, my dd is staring pre-k on monday and the meet and greet was tongiht. Well my problem is that the school will only call her by her firs name. A name she has NEVER gone by, doesn't know as her name, and more than likely won't even turn her head to. She has, since birth, gone by her middle name. The GISD pre-k told me that they will not call her that, it's not her first name, and that there is nothing that they will do about it. She is super excited about the friends that she's going to make and all the things she is going to learn; it would make me feel horriable to un-enroll her and then jsut try to make playdates. All of my friends are now working or their kiddos are in school, UGH HELP I don't know what to do!!!!!

Peanut_Farley

Asked by Peanut_Farley at 12:07 AM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Welll good luck with that then Peanut. I sincerely hope you can figure it out with the school and I really hope you don't pull your kid out of it because of a small issue like this.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 12:35 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Seriously, if that is the only problem you ever encounter, than I admire you. So, explain to your daughter what her real name is. I don't see a problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Why on earth would you name her and then not call her by it?
    Anonymous

• So why don't you just legally change her middle name to her first name? I don't understand why parents call their kids by their middle name and not their first. I don't understand that. Although...I call my brother's friend by his last name. Been doing it since I met him and I think we are the only ones who call him by his last name, everyone else calls him by his first. But again. Why not switch the names?
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 12:11 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• That doesn't make sense....did you meet the actual teacher? Obviously, she would enroll with her real name but most teachers ask if there's another name they go by....my name is Janis but I always went by Jan in school....my Mom would just let them know or when I got older I would tell the teacher on the first day...I don't know what the big deal would be...did they give you an explanation...
    Jan40

Answer by Jan40 at 12:13 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• My SS goes by his middle name. (I agree with PP why name him something and then call him something else, but not my choice.) Anyway, explain it to her and then let her choose. My SS is VERY adament about being called by his middle name a lot of the time (although he is getting better about not being rude about it.) I'd say, if a kid asks her name at school tell her it's okay for her to say "I like to be called ______" She could even attempt that with the teacher's but sounds like their just being stubborn.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• that is weird, the school should be more cooperative, be firm with that teacher tell her the way it is going to be, you are her parent!!!! or un enroll her and re-enroll her with the other name, if you call her one name, you should have enrolled her with that name. but the school should do what you say your the mother!!!!
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 12:14 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I would just keep her enrolled, if she doesn't respond to that name they can figure it out. Just tell her her first name so the kids don't say 'if your name is karen why are the teachers calling you amelia?' And she won't have an answer.
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 12:15 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• okay, first anon, i have 3 older kids in school and I guess unlike you, I've been lucky enought not to have a horriable time. Her real name, Gracie, which is what we call her, and is her middle name. There is no reason to start calling her by a different name, one that she has NEVER gone by.
    Anon 2, we chose her first name after my MIL and her middle name is one we wanted to call her. I go by my middle name and I'm sure many other people do.
    Gracie is going to be away from home for the first time, school is supposed to be fun, educational, and somewhere I can trust dropping her off everyday. How can I trust people if they aren't even going to call her by her real name.
    Peanut_Farley

Answer by Peanut_Farley at 12:16 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Don't they ask you on the enrollment forms if your child is called anything other than her first name? I know they ask that on applications and such.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 12:16 AM on Aug. 21, 2009