Regarding Insulated Lunch Boxes...Please reassure me!!!

My son starts school on Monday and I'm really having a hard time planning his lunches. Making PB&J's everyday will for sure get boring. I want to send some fun and different things in his lunch box but I'm really struggling with the thought of his food spoiling before he eats it. Yes, he does have an insulated lunch box and I have two cold packs I will include in it, but, for some reason, I'm still worried. Can someone please reassure me that his food will be fine and ok to eat...even in an insulated lunch box?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Aug. 21, 2009 in

• It will be fine, those cold packs will work really well. I would go light on the mayo for deli type sandwiches because otherwise it will make it soggy. Ziplock type sandwiches work MUCH better for sandwiches then those sandwich bags that fold over. Try it yourself, pack a lunch and (if you are a sahm) use his lunch box on your counter, or take it to work with you. You will save money, and the nutritional value of your lunches will probably be better than a school lunch.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 12:23 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• It'll be fine. I have an 11 year old going into grade 6 who's taken his lunch every day and never had a problem. And just as an fyi, if you get a good quality thermos you can send hot items as well.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:18 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• My son has an insulated lunch box and i add cold packs. he does not like PB&J at all lol so I send lots of different things such as left overs from the prevous nights dinner, chicken cut up with tortillas and grated cheese, soup, instead of lunchables i cut up cheese and lunch meat. I have sent yogurt and applesauce, veggies and ranch, apples with carmel sauce (i buy a bottle of carmel and put it in smaller container to send). I try to be creative especially since my son eats alot lol. I have asked my son to give me ideas of things he would like to eat, some weeks i can make a meal in the crockpot to use for lunches that week. with the cost of school lunches over 2.00 per day i can make better meals at home much cheaper for 3 kids.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:25 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• buy him some lunchables they only cost adolllr at walmart
    rhondarktrnd01

Answer by rhondarktrnd01 at 12:47 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• forget the bags for sandwiches at all - go to Walmart and get the sandwich shaped "wonder bread" container. It will keep it dry and keep it from getting smushed as well.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 12:50 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• It'll be fine. Hell, my mother used to send me to school with mayo on my sandwich and then it sat in my locker in a metal lunchbox for god knows how long before I ate it. LOL
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 8:40 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Even sitting out at room temp, food is safe for 4 hours. So even if you sent it in an uninsulated bag, with no cold pack, if you packed it at 8 it would be fine until 12.

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 8:44 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• When we were all in school, there wasn't any such thing as an insulated lunch bag. It was either metal, plastic or a brown bag and we all survived.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 10:08 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Yes, it will be fine.

You can also get a thermos and send hot things. My kids like mac&cheese, leftover spaghetti, and chicken nuggets. I heat up the food in the microwave. I boil some water and put it in the thermos for 1 min to heat it up. Pour out the water, put in the food. It's still warm for them at lunchtime.
    LolaCherryCola

Answer by LolaCherryCola at 10:37 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Other things you could do is I know you can buy the packets of things like ketchup, mayo, mustard, etc etc and if you want to send him sandwiches you can put them together without the condiments on them (if he likes mayo) and just allow him to put the mayo on himself before he eats that way you won't have to worry about it. Other than that, the mayo is about the only thing you really have to worry about spoiling. The lunch meat and everything else will be fine. I took my lunch nearly every day from 1st grade until 10th grade and never once had any problems. Also younger kids usually eat earlier on in the day so you don't have to worry about the food sitting out too long.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:04 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

Next question in
Need time management advice...

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
feeling terrible