Would this be inapproiate?

An ex of mine is in the Marines and is deployed in Afghanistan and his birthday is coming up and I was thinking of maybe sending him a card. Even though he is my ex we still are somewhat friendly, we even had lunch together last time he was home. I dont want it to seem like maybe im trying to give him a more than friends signal by sending him a card. (That may seem kind of silly, I just dont want to overstep the whole ex-turned-friend boundaries or whatever. I think im being silly but a girl friend of mine said that it would be more approiate to just give a Happy Birthday message over Facebook or something, I dont know.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• That seems harmless.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 12:32 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I don't think it would be inappropriate...especially considering where he is...he might like hearing from you..just put something like "I remembered it was your birthday...." and get a humurous card that wouldn't seem romantic...I don't think there's anything wrong with that..
    Jan40

Answer by Jan40 at 12:34 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• If you are having doubts, then don't do it. A better thing might be to get a bunch of his friends together and send a group card/present.
    squish

Answer by squish at 12:34 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• A friend birthday card is no big deal! I am friends with my "X" and that kind of thing did not send him the wrong message!
    alyjax03

Answer by alyjax03 at 12:35 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Cauliflower makes a great gift!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• The boys over there NEED physical proof that they're not forgotten! If there's not been any flirting on either end and you both know where your relationship stands...as a friendship, then what's the harm in sending him a friendly, funny card?
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 1:22 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• i dont see anything wrong with it, if you are currently in a relationship with someone else i would be perfectly honest about your intentions and explain you are only sending the card because he is sitting in the middle of a war and its the least you can do for some one who is protecting your rights and freedoms and your kids rights and freedom. My ex was army and we stayed very close friends after we split up, i would have done the same for him and it would have been totally innocent. Good luck and let that boy know he may be so far away but we here in the states havent forgotten him!! maybe if your that worried about it causing a problem just send it with a very standard message... "happy birthday hope you get to celebrate when you get home, you are in our thoughts and prayers" and not sign your name :) it will let him know some one is thinking of him and if he figures out it was u say u forgot to sign it lol
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 2:42 AM on Aug. 21, 2009