Is your church assembly still using the Bible?

Has your pastor veered from the Bible and now is teaching from the "assembly books?"

Have you noticed a large increase in members and less reading the Bible?

Does it or does it not concern you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• If a pastor has stopped delivering the Word to his congregation then I believe that he has stopped serving God and taken up serving man - and I wouldn't want any part of him or his followers. There has never been a more crucial time to preach the Word, to preach the Cross and preach redemption to a lost and dieing world. If you close your heart and eyes to the Word of God, you are truly blind. And if the blind leads the blind..........
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 1:43 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• The Pastor& Minister is to explain the word. He is to apply the word. And he is to exhort the people of God to embrace the word. And all wise Christians will value the ministry of the reading and preaching and teaching of the word above all else. Show me a church where those things are being squeezed out of the public assembly, and I will show you a church that will be a dead church in a little while, no matter how many people are in it. When the word of God is squeezed out of the worship of God, you can be sure that trouble in on the way, In fact, trouble is already there.

What is your opinion?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I see more and more people being told what they want to hear. Thus why there are more and more people going to church. Dontcha know sin is all good in God's eyes?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Which denomination are you referring to?

I was raised Catholic and readings from the Bible have ALWAYS been part of the Mass. I am now attending an Episcopalian church, where the services are quite similar and Bible study is held evey Sunday. Plus they send us home with the texts for the next week's readings so we can contemplate them ahead of time.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:39 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Do you realize how counter-cultural that is? I’m told by everybody around me today that the pattern of ministry in the Christian church needs to be changed because people don’t like to be “preached at.” They don’t like a sermon. They like dialogue. They like advice. They’re more into the give and take of therapy than they are in the direct proclamation of a lecture or a sermon. And so we’re told on every side the way we go about doing church needs to change, because people don’t like that. Well, I’ve got some news for you: people have never liked this!! There’s never been a time when people liked to have their hearts probed. There’s never been a time where people liked to have somebody discover where they have been weighed in the balance and found lacking. There’s never been a time where people liked to be told ‘you’re dead wrong; you need to go another direction.’

bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 12:41 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• It concerns me very much.
    As Christians, our Bible is our lifeline and what we live by. Our pastor most certainly uses it every week. We all believe he is no better to guide us then someone we randomly pick from a hat if he does not use his college education in theology and of course his Bible.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 12:45 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Oh, did you want my opinion?
    Modern Christianity?
    Not for this family.
    God is not all gooey and feelin good while sin rots the inside the apple out and no one can see it until it finally colapses.
    If a "church body" does not use the Bible...I am not interested.
    I can sit home and watch some of the other "GET RICH" TV ministers.
    I serve a just God and I know that He is all LOVE ..He is also a God that will have no problem saying.."WHO DID YOU SAY YOU ARE; I DON'T EVEN KNOW YOU."
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 12:47 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• As a member of the Church of Christ ( non denominational, no instrumental music) the Bible is the only book we use as a guide and authority. That is not to say we don't use work books or study guides for classes or that a minister may use secular quotes or examples as part of his sermons but the Bible remains the primary source of all teachings and sermons and worship services.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 12:49 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• We only use the Bible.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 12:51 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• What's an "assembly book?"

We only read from the Bible and the pastor even pauses to make sure everyone has found the page and is reading a long before he continues lol.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:03 AM on Aug. 21, 2009