what can I do about my 20 month old daughter who screams and shouts, "No!" whenever one of her friends comes near her during playgroup?

laurascomet

Asked by laurascomet at 12:36 AM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• OMG find out why she does that. Then try to work it out.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 12:40 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I have no idea why she does it. Whenever it happens, I get down next to her and tell her, "We don't scream at our friends. When our friends come near, we say 'Hi' and 'Do you wanna play?'" She doesn't seem to get it though.

This has been going on for a few weeks now....the other day she even said, "No, EWWW!!" to a friend....so embarrassing.
    laurascomet

Answer by laurascomet at 12:52 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• lol my son does kinda the same thing. he will run grab a toy and run back to me. he doesnt like his friends getting to close or touching his toys. i dont know what to tell you.
    softbalchic2004

Answer by softbalchic2004 at 1:24 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Did she pick this friend or did you? Maybe it's not her friend.. lol. I'm just being dumb, but maybe she really doesn't like this "friend." :o) That sounds like something that my Brianna would do lol.
    jackiec7707

Answer by jackiec7707 at 3:10 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• LOL!! DD was like this whenever she was playing with something. Even when she was on the playground. If someone came near her and she was by the slide or some other thing she was interested in, she'd say "No, MINE!". I would tell her "Ireland, honey, you have to share and take turns". If she continued to be a shit, I'd remove her from the situation. I wouldn't yell at her because it's developmentally appropriate at this age to be possessive. You could also try sharing games with you LO. Take an old sock and play "sharing". Have her old the sock and then you can ask her "Can I play with it? Can you share?" and go back and forth like that. That way when you tell her "you need to share" she'll really understand what you're talking about and she'll know that she'll get the toy back.

MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 4:10 PM on Aug. 23, 2009