I know that Samhain is still 2 months away ...but ...

Halloween costumes are already coming out in the stores and what not and i'm wondering if anyone has already started making plans?
As some of you may remember, my mom died this April. I have never tried to connect with a the deceased before, but i feel an overwhelming desire to try to talk to my mom again, on the day when the veil between this world and the next is at it's thinnest.
Does anyone have any advice, tips, suggestions, specific ritual? If you have had a positive experiences connecting with the deceased would you mind sharing your story?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 1:16 AM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have not started to plan for Samhain as I'm gearing up for the Autumn Equinox. I'm sorry about your loss and I understand the need to reach out to her. As to making contact with the dead, I don't have much experience. My loved ones have either be silent or very active.

My mother, who was a devout Christian has never said a peep and my BIL, well I'm sure he was at my wedding and at the births of my children. He managed to blow the horn on us, repeatedly as we were leaving the ceremony and I just knew he was at the births. Gods know I miss him. But my mom, she wouldn't appreciate it if I made any kind of contact. According to her believes, she's asleep awaiting Resurrection.

But for Samhain, I've done a dumb supper / silent supper. But I prefer setting up the ancestors altar. I believe that they will hear you when you talk to them. So I talk.

If your loved ones have a grave site, it's a good time to visit too.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 11:07 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• First of all I'm sorry about the passing of your mom. I know how hard that can be and I understand your wanting to reach out to her.

One of my traditions for Samhain is to set up an altar near a western facing window. Both my parents are gone, so I'll set some personal mementos of theirs on the altar, along with a candle. Then I'll light the candle and invite them to "visit" if they so wish. Sometimes I'll talk to them, especially my mom, read a letter that they once wrote to me or just reflect on happy memories. Although I do feel their presence at that time, I've also connected with them (mostly my mom) at other times besides Samhain and it's always a comforting experience.
    AnamCara1

Answer by AnamCara1 at 1:35 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• While we don't celebrate the Pagan holiday, we do celebrate the secular one.

My mother has decided she is going to be making my son (who will be 2) a pumpkins costume, LOL. My daughter will probably go as a fairy, like she has every year for the past three years.
    My SS and SD will probably do something dead . . . last year SD went as a dead prom queen and SS went as a zombie pirate, LOL.

Every year before my DD was born I went on a paranormal investigation SOMEWHERE - most of the time it was cemetaries.

I think that trying to contact your mom is a very wonderful idea. I do want to caution you though to try to refrain from using a tool such as a Ouija board or similar.

AnamCara has some wonderful suggestions for a ritual, if you want to go that direction. If you are Pagan, you also might do something to honor one of the Gods/Goddesses of the underworld . . .
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 9:45 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• (Cont.)

If you are a Christian you might read a bible verse or a Psalm . . . Anything you do, though, make it personal to you and your mom and do it in honor of her. I really liked the idea of a poem or song lyrics that your mom really loved. Also, if there was something special that you shared with her, or something that she left you specifically, encorperating that could be helpful.

Good luck and let us know how every thing goes.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 9:48 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Haha... Not a chance! I haven't even figured out what I'm gonna do for Mabon yet! lol!

However I have been working on an education site / Online BOS that I am hoping to launch on Samhain. I thought that would be the perfect time to do it! New Year, New Site... Otherwise- I have NO CLUE!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:46 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Whatever you end up doing...may I suggest cooking her favorite meal and setting an extra place at the dinner table FOR HER! Invite her spirit to your supper. Talk about her, tell stories. And then take the food you put on her plate and place it outside (giving it back to Mother Earth and/or one of her representative critters.)

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:22 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• 3 Stooge costumes for the boys LOL.

As for Samhain...we will do a mute dinner again. It was amazing and it brought us a sense of peace and closeness to our deceased relatives.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:46 AM on Aug. 21, 2009