what might "disqualify" you from a home birth?

How many c-sections or how high of a BMI would you have to have for a midwife to possibly pass or reject you... blood pressure, etc etc...?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 1:35 AM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You need to talk with a home birth midwife because they all have different things that would cause them to not recommend a home birth. If you are disqualified you can always talk with a hospital midwife and see what they say. I delivered with a midwife in the hospital and it was great. I still think I would have liked a home birth better, but DH was too scared!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:08 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I would say if you've had to have a c-section they may or may not let you depending on the reasoning. If the reason was for an emergency or something likely to recur then I would say they wouldn't let you. If you are gaining a ton of weight and have really high BP they probably won't let you. Also if you have placental issues, low amniotic fluid, or baby is breach or sideways. If you have a history of massive hemmorhaging (sp) during delivery that would be a problem too.
    javila

Answer by javila at 1:44 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• call and ask. if a midwife or doc isn't willing to answer your questions ahead of time they're not worth giving money to. don't hide anything in your med history to get a home birth. some docs have midwives in their practices, that's a good alternative to a homebirth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• It depends on the midwife and the state laws. If in a birth center or hospital a midwife may be bound by arbitrary rules they must apply to everyone. A single practice or small group of midwives would do things differently. Some midwives are experienced with VBAC, breech, and twins and others are not. Managed highblood pressure and other managed health issues are also influenced by all the above factors. Shop around.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:27 AM on Aug. 21, 2009