What is Your Definition of Love?

To me, to love someone is to want what is BEST for someone, even if it does not make them feel good or is not what they want to hear.

What is "love" to you and what is "speaking to someone in love" mean? When someone else talks about "love" do you automatically assume they mean all that love encompasses (i.e. what's "best," whether it makes you feel good or not) or do you assume that they're just referring to what makes you "feel good?" What do you think people other than yourself usually mean when they talk about "love?"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am a firm believe in tough love.... love is not all about making someone feel good... I say it how it is even to those I love with all my heart... does it make them angry sometimes, does it hurt their feelings, do I get told to kick rocks... I sure do but I will never ever... NEVER... tell someone a bunch of bologna to please them... If I truly love someone I am honest... no matter how mad they may or may not get
    orkibe3

Answer by orkibe3 at 1:41 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I meant firm believer.....
    orkibe3

• this question is too complex. there is too much a different love for spouses/SO's. parents, friends, kids, and inatamate objects to answer this fully.
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 1:42 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• love is 100% for others none of the 50/50 junk
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• but anon :43 you are surely not arguing that for different relationships there are different loves? because i surely do not love my husband the same way i love my mom or my xbox
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 2:02 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• lol kick rocks. I love that.

I know from life that love doesn't always mean what feels good. I actually posted somewhere the other day that getting a shot for an allergic reaction I had as a child was a manifestation of my mother's love for me, even though it hurt, even though I didn't want it and even though it didn't feel good...it saved my life. Sometimes love hurts.

I don't know what I assume about others when they talk about love lol. I'm too tired to think that far into it. I think "speak the truth in love" means to seperate the truth that needs to be said from your personal feelings about the person and situation. If someone is going to be offended when you speak the truth in love, let it be because the truth was painful-but-needed-to-be-said and not because you attacked them personally.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:03 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• laughingxbox , that was too, too funny!

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:06 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• well i do 'love' my xbox, but not NEAR as much as i love my husband or my son hehe
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 2:11 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I would have to go with what the bible says... THe bible says alot about love... Here is some verses
    Isaiah 53 - We, like sheep, have all gone astray. And our Shephered went after the one to bring us back to God.

Isa 53:4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
    Isa 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
    Isa 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
    Isa 53:7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

Psalm 23 To Give us an Abundant life
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 3:36 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• 8-27-74; 5-24-75; 11-4-05 <:))))))<<

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:41 AM on Aug. 21, 2009