Which do you recomend natraul, epidural, or just somthing to take the edge off?

Im due in less then 2 weeks and cant decide what i want to do as far as pain killers for delivery.

K3lly94

Asked by K3lly94 at 2:18 AM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i have had all 3 and preferred natural, right at the moment when the pain was hitting yes i thought GIVE ME A AN EPIDURAL NOWWWWWWWWWWWW okay i probably screamed it lol but for me the natural birth was the easiest i found that the epidural and the iv meds to take the edge off seemed to prolong things and also had some side effects i didnt appreciate like when they gave me stadol (sp?) for example i would pass out then wake up at the height of the contraction and i would scream then pass out again. the epidural i had kept coming undone then when it did work i couldnt feel anything and they wanted me to push but i wasnt even sure how when i couldnt feel. the natural birth just seemed to be over with quicker and i felt so much better after wards i had energy and i felt like superwoman lol my body just knew what to do and it was very little effort on my part other than riding out the contractions.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:29 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I have two children... one was natural and the other was not... I had an epidural! If I had another child I would go natural.... just because you seem to experience it more if you arent out of it! I felt more alert to what was happening with my child when I was not drugged up! My daughter (my first child) was NATURAL... not by choice though! By the time they got the guy in to do my epidural I was too close to giving birth to have the epidural do anything! When I had my second child (my son) I got the epidural... I dont really know why I did, but now I wish that I didnt! When my son came out there were a few complications and I felt like I was not in the correct state of mind (cause I was drugged up) to be able to help! Even though I couldnt have helped in the fist place~ I still felt too weird!!! I would totally do the natural way~ yeah it hurts but if we remembered the pain, all women would only have one child!!! :)
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 2:26 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Natural but if intolerable an epidural. I would not recommend something to just take the edge off. It does nothing but make you tired and feel out of it but you feel the contractions full force
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:33 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Just a fyi you do not feel drugged up with an epi
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I had an spinal and it didn't take. well, okay my leg was completely numb that was it. So i would say if you can make it thur and go natural then go for it. If you need to get something for the pain then you did your best. I am not gonna tell you that you will be laughing it up at all, but, if you focus and just breathing and know that when this pain is all over I will be holding my child it is worth every minute of pain. GL
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:39 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I would never have drugs or an epidural during labor. I am too scared of the risks.
    squish

Answer by squish at 3:15 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I'd go natural.
    javila

Answer by javila at 3:26 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I think it all depends on the labor. With my dd, I planned on going natural, no drugs at all. I was terrified of getting an epideral (I was 17 & convinced that I'd twich & they'd paralyze me or something). I was doing fine with the pain, it really wasn't bad at all. Then the back labor started & I felt like my back was gonna break. So, I gave in & had the epi. After that, I had no pain. They had to interrupt me telling a joke to inform me I was having a contraction & needed to push. I got the epi about 30min before dd was born, so it didn't slow anything down with me.
    With ds, I was gonna do it natural. Then he decided to come out arm first. So, they had to do an emergency c-section & knocked me out cold.
    So, I would plan for natural, but also plan for flexibility because you can't guarantee how your labor will progress.
    busygoddess

Answer by busygoddess at 4:24 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I would plan for natural, but also plan for flexibility because you can't guarantee how your labor will progress.

my thoughts exactly - honestly OP no one here can tell you what to do, not even you know how well you will handle the pain, so just plan on all natural but leave an option there just in case you want an epi and I agree something to take off the edge does NOT work
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 5:21 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Im scared to go natural, but I think its a better way to go.
    Kara_McGowan

Answer by Kara_McGowan at 6:23 AM on Aug. 21, 2009