Walking epidural?

Okay, after seeing a question earlier about pain meds during labor I realized nobody ever brings up the different kinds of epidural you can have. I was told there is also the "walking epidural" which is the one that still allows you movement & wears off as you actually deliver the baby. This is the one that I want to have. Why is it that when asking about epidurals nobody ever brings this one up?? Is it not effective?? Do not a lot of women opt for it?? If you have had a walking epidural, what was your experience?? Is it really much different than an actual epidural?? I'd love all the info I can get...

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 2:35 AM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• As far as I know, it is exactly the same as a traditional epidural, except there is less pain medication in it. It does not take away pain completely, or leave you completely immobile. It still carries the same set of risks as a normal epidural, save for overdose of medication since the medication is lessened. For me the risks absolutely do not outweigh the safety of me or my baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:13 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I've never even heard of it, but then again my baby making days are over so i am not up on some of the newer common things going on in labor and delivery. Sounds interesting though.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:39 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I have never heard of a walking epidural, maybe at my next visit i will ask about that
    RCPerry511

Answer by RCPerry511 at 11:22 AM on Aug. 21, 2009