has anybody had HPV while pregnant??

if so did you have a c-section or natural birth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 AM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i heard when u have hpv u cant have a natural birth because it will pass to ur baby so u have to have a c section good luck!!!
    ohmama213

Answer by ohmama213 at 2:40 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• when i was prego, they said i had an abnormal pap. i was inquiring about the c-section and they said it wasnt necessary. well, i ended up getting one anyway, but not bc of the pap. instead bc of complications during my attempt at vaginal delivery. well anyway, they scheduled me for a biopsy after i had my son and even told me it came back positive for hpv. but a few weeks later they told me it wasnt hpv after all and explained some hormonal change stuff to me. now i have the vaccine, because i wanna be one less. maybe you dont even have hpv. i would get a second opinion. and no, i dont think the c-section is mandatory with it anyway. my sister has it and had 2 vaginal births.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:47 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• my friend had HPV and had a natural birth, everything was fine I believe.
    Peanut_Butter

Answer by Peanut_Butter at 2:51 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I have HPV... could have had a normal birth but ended up emergency C section due to her being breech and some other mild complications. It is the HERPES virus that can pass to the baby and cause serious complications or death. You can still have HPV and have a vaginal, natural delivery! I also had an abnormal pap while pregnant that had escalted to the stage just before cancer but when I had my child it went away and I have no complications from any of it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Have it and you wont pass to the baby during vaginal birth unless you have a breakout at the time of delivery (it is genital warts afterall). There are different stages and mine is/was dormant. You should ask at what level yours is. I ended up delivering via c-sec due to totaly dif. complications. My sister has it too and she delivered vaginally and nothing passed to the baby. I recently went to the doctor and they did a pap and nothing was found as far as HPV, i was told I had it in 2002. One doctor even told me, its no big deal (the type I had) its like a little cold, doesnt make much of a difference, find out what level yours is at!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:12 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• You can still have a vaginal delivery, it should cause no complications. The doctors will only advise that you have a csection if you have other complications.

Anon :54, yes herpes can be spread to the baby but it's the same as with hpv...most women with herpes have a vaginal birth, they give you medication to reduce the risk of having an outbreak during childbirth and if you do not have an outbreak the baby will not be at any risk at all. And the herpes virus is not so bad that it causes death...it is possible that it could cause complications and some of these complications could possibly lead to death but not likely.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:17 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I believe it can be a positive thing to have a vaginal delivery with HPV. My Doc told me that many times the act of sheding the vaginal tissue can make the virus clear up. I've never, ever heard of pasing HPV onto your baby.. herpes, yes... warts, not so much.
    Carrielou13

Answer by Carrielou13 at 4:37 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• My best friend has HPV and gave birth naturally. As far as we know everything is fine with the baby. Guess we will have to wait and see.
    Michele068

Answer by Michele068 at 5:06 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• First off there are different kinds of HPV. And you can get some types any where. I was diagnosed while I was single and freaked out because I hadn't had any sexual partners in over a year. Considering my previous paps were all normal, I didn't know what to think. My doctor explained to me that there are different strands and each are caught in a different way. I ended up having many biopsy's, surgeries, had to have my cervix cartorized, and more. Within 3 years my paps were back to normal! I also ended up delivering while having it. My baby was healthy as can be expected from any mother!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:21 PM on Aug. 22, 2009