My 3 1/2 month-old holds her pee while she sleeps...problem?

I'm pretty sure she's not dehydrated. She has always been this way, since day one. Her pee in always light colored or clear and she has enough wet diapers throughout the day, but at night, she sleeps for about 10 hours collectively (and stirring, but not completely waking up, 2-3 times to eat) and she holds her pee that whole time. When she wakes up, she grunts and groans and starts to fuss, and then she pees a friggin' GALLON and it almost always leaks out her diaper.

She makes the same face when she poops and pees.

Should I be concerned? Should I wake her up completely after 4 or 6 hours so that she can pee?

Note: She doesn't cry while she pees in the morning or afterward. She doesn't cry during the day while she pees either.

Also, I found this..
http://parents.berkeley.edu/advice/potty/babies.html

BatGirl1415

Asked by BatGirl1415 at 2:48 AM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• waking her up isnt going to do anything, babies dont know to hold pee in. if she has to go, she will go whether it is while she is awake or asleep.

if she has enough wet diapers, i wouldnt worry about it. my daughter does that often where her diaper is completely dry
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:51 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• She doesn't have the physical capability to do that. Consult a doc...not normal
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:58 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I agree with the anon poster. I would definitely ask her doctor about it. It can't be a good thing to hold that much pee for that long. I could be wrong but holding your pee for long amounts of time can cause bladder infections.. doing it all of the time can cause bladder problems.
    jackiec7707

Answer by jackiec7707 at 3:08 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• To strain to pee is not normal
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:11 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I would be concerned and ask the doctor. My aunt told me her 1 year old started doing that and the doctor told her to potty train but a baby that young doing it sounds like a bad situation.

amber710

Answer by amber710 at 4:15 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• What about this site though? http://diaperfreebaby.org/?&MMN_position=1:1
    What could holding in pee at night indicate?
    BatGirl1415

Answer by BatGirl1415 at 4:30 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• It wouldn't hurt to talk to your doctor and just be sure she is ok. However infants CAN learn to hold it. I would start holding her over the toilet in the morning! I have never potty trained that early, but know people who have.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:42 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Also, I am on a blackberry and can't get to the links! Sorry.
    micheledo

• Yeah, I called the 24 hours nurse hotline and talked to a nurse who said it didn't sound like something to worry about, but maybe just call the doctor tomorrow and see what he says, just to be sure.
    BatGirl1415

Answer by BatGirl1415 at 6:51 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Talk to your dr to see what he thinks, but my nephew did the same thing. He didn't potty train until about almost 2 years, though.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 7:23 AM on Aug. 21, 2009