what all do they do at the 1st ultrasound, when you find out the sex of the baby?

i mean like how long can you watch the baby and etc...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 AM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had an ultrasound at 7 weeks, they just checked to see if everything looked right, quick ultrasound. The one where you find out the sex (16-22 weeks) is a pretty lengthy ultrasound. They show you all the baby's limbs and stuff, they measure everything, they measure the deepest fluid pocket, they check for placental issues, check that the baby is proportionate and look for any genetic concerns as in defects, the last thing they told me was the sex of the baby. It ended up being about 20 minutes or so.
    javila

Answer by javila at 3:11 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• The whole time they are doing the test close to 15-20 minutes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:11 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• mine was long when findinb out the sex.. it was like 45 min. they show you the baby print some pictures and do some measurements of the lenght head brain etc... it was awesome i loved it!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:13 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• do they give you a dvd or a vhs? or can they?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• they can call ahead of time and ask about it they may hae you bring in your own DVD or VHS
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:17 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• They normally don't offer a dvd or vhs for a 2D diagnostic ultrasound, which is the gender determination. The only place I've heard of offering that is a Mommy Spa and it costs extra. If you are interested in getting a dvd and stuff I would strongly recommend you have a 4D ultrasound (this will be later in pregnancy, 30-34 weeks is a good time, and you will still do your normal gender determination ultrasound) but the 4D is really cool and you will see what your baby looks like, get a dvd, a cd with pics and printouts. Look at my profile, I just had my 4D ultrasound yesterday, I'm 34 weeks.
    javila

Answer by javila at 3:21 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• At the first ultrasound it is mainly about confirming that you are pregnant. You'll see a tiny tiny little peanut floating around inside and they'll maybe point out the heart and a couple of other "landmarks". The baby is really really tiny at this point and doesn't look like "much" except the most beautiful little blob you've ever seen. That heartbeat is the most amazing thing. That ultrasound might not take too long just a few minutes.

The next ultrasound as a pp mentioned should be between 16-22 weeks and they will go over a lot of the baby's body parts and measure them to determine how well they are developing, that's the one where they can see what you are having, IF your baby will cooperate! :)

I got pictures from almost every ultrasound I've had. They are so neat.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 9:31 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• When my mom was pregnant with my little brother and sisters, they let her bring a VHS and recorded it but that was between 18 and 8 yrs ago.
    I had my daughter almost 4 yrs ago and idk if they just dont do it anymore or if that OBGYN just doesn't record it. My ultrasound with my daughter lasted about 45 minutes bc she wouldn't cooperate and open her legs and then finally she did.
    They detemine the sex, get measurments of the baby, and make sure everything is ok and it will usually last probably from 20-45 minutes.
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 9:35 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• At my 20wk visit we got a vhs of the ultrasound but we didn't have to bring one you might want to call about that
    RCPerry511

Answer by RCPerry511 at 11:19 AM on Aug. 21, 2009