What do you think of public schools these days?

I think they have got pretty bad since I was in school! Kids talking back, no respect, not very good education, loss of morals, clothing styles, the flag being changed, without Under God. I mean seriously? Where is our kids education going? Let alone, society? Why do teachers let their students get away with so much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:39 AM on Aug. 21, 2009 in

• I think the schools in California are horrible now. No respect for anyone and anything. HORRIBLE!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:59 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• under God was NOT in the pledge as it was written.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:40 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I think the schools my kids are in are way better than the public schools i went too. My kids happen to be in a great school system, my daughter just got accepted to an advanced science and math program along with the advanced language/english program (which includes reading etc) she was already accepted into last year. I think as far as behavior goes it really needs to be a team effort parents setting boundaries and rules, and enforcing the school rules, and teachers and school doing the same and so on. Anyway I think in general public schools are great, yes there are some that are way worse than others, but in general they are doing a great job and should be respected for it!
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 7:09 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• elananme
    great answer, i agree completely
    the system we are currently in is really good, some of the staff is missing a few brain cells and there are politics with the sports curriculum, but overall we are very happy with our schools.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:34 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Well first I have to say that it's not the school's job to teach morals. That's my job. Same with teaching respect, not tolerating rudeness and what my child walks out of the house in. That's a parents' job! A teacher's job is to teach academics.

I think you have to look at it on a town by town basis. My town has a great public school system, but the next town over is terrible and rated poorly. I can only speak for the schools my children attend and my children and I have had a great experience with them.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 8:37 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• How can teachers let their students get away with so much?

You've got to be kidding me right. My students have a disciplined classroom, and they choose to break the rules and there are consequences for that, then mommy and daddy whine to the administrators that I am too hard on their students and that my standards for discipline and academics are too high.
    It's either absent or excusing parents that cause most of my problems with students. Most students are excellent, they do their work and are respectful. The ones who are not (and they are in the minority) take up so much time between all of the documentation that has to be done, the parent phone calls during my planning periods, etc.
    Don't lay this all on the teachers - my theory - we live in an instant gratification society with information and needs supplied immediately (cable news/internet/microwaves/etc), and so no one feels that they have to work for anything.
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 8:48 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• continued.....and my course is difficult so they do have to work at it, it doesn't come easy and so they shut down and my D/F ratio is high and I have to explain it every year to administration.

I don't know what your talking about with the flag being changed/Under God removed (it hasn't been at least in our system)
    I think it's a societal issue and schools are trying to adapt to leave "no child behind".
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 8:50 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I think overall they stink, which is why I homeschool.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:11 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• They stink. Maybe not everywhere. But I think it has to do with lack of funding and I will still never understand why education wasn't at the top of the list of Obama's 700 Billion dollar bailout list. All those school closed, teachers and staff laid off, over crowded classrooms. Its ridiculous.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 9:15 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• First, I think parents need to stop exprcting the schools to teach everything. Most of what you mentioned are not isses with the school. They're isses with parenting. It's the parents' job to teach their child manners, morals, and to be respectful. It's the parents' job to make sure their child is dressed appropriately.
    As for teachers letting the kids get away with so much, the teachers' hands are ties on a lot of things. All they can really do is send the child to the office, and there's only so much the principal can do. On top of that, you have the parents that think their child can do no wrong & throw a fit if their child is disciplined for any misbehavior. I don't envy them their job.
    I also think the whole public school system needs to be completely revamped. The gov. claims that the schools have such high standards, and yet students get less & less of an education. cont.
    busygoddess

Answer by busygoddess at 9:22 AM on Aug. 21, 2009