is she stressed out.

My daughter will be 3 next month (She is mentally that of a 15 to 20 month old, she has Down Syndrome). Recently, her father and paternal grandma has become apart of her life again (long story, but there was a restraining order against them). Also, I am getting her into her school schedule and there have been other changes going on. Since her father and paternal grandma has been apart of her life again (it has only been this past week) she has been extremely clingy to me. I haven't left her alone with them, so I know that nothing has happened. She has only been with my and my mom for the last 22 months. Her clinginess is so bad that she won't even stay with my mom (whom she normally adores). If I walk out of the room, she freaks out and follows me screaming. Is it possible for her to be stressed out? What can I do to minimize the stress when she starts school on Monday (8/24)?

sondamom0828

Asked by sondamom0828 at 4:52 AM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I really wish I could help....but maybe it has something(or a lot) to do with the Down Syndrome and maybe just like a stimulus overload?
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 5:10 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I know my son takes time to adjust to change so maybe that is what is stressing her out. I have to do gradual steps with him. He also has Down Syndrome.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I was thinking about her developmental mentality being at 15-20 months, and that separation anxiety is normal for that age group. As far as putting her in school... or is it day care that she is used to? A school setting at 2? I am not sure about that part.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:32 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• She will be 3 soon and a pre-school setting for special needs kids at 3 is a good thing because it will enhance their speech skills, socialization skills and developmental skills. The person who posted this did state she will start schol when she turns 3.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• based on her mental age, I'd say separation anxiety. Even if she were mentally 3, she could easily have seperation anxiety from just not knowing these people well. GIve her time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Aug. 21, 2009