does anyone here have a child with sensory integration disorder? If so can you tell me some of the symptoms. i think child may have this.

my child just started kindergarden and is having a few problems . i think this may be the cause

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:42 AM on Aug. 21, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It's different for every kid. Basically what it is..they don't process sensory input like a typical kid does. Lights are too bright, sounds are too loud, tastes are too strong, touch is bothersome, smells all stink...or the opposite. It doesn't always involve all of the senses, either.

Also in there is proprioceptive as well...knowing where the body is in space.

Some kids need more sensory input, some have to have less. Some kids have to have a specific type of clothing (only sweats with no elastic, or only white tagless shirts, etc) for some it has to be a certain material, for others it doesn't matter.

It's not diagnosed by a doctor, but by an OT. And it's not an official "medical" diagnosis. There is no "curing" it, only teaching them to cope with it.

I recommend "Out of Sync Child".
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:55 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• If you don't know any symptoms what makes you think he has it? Look it up online that will have more info for you...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:35 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Oh...I have two kids with SPD and they are different as night and day with it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:01 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• my child does a few things that i find strange i meant in my question that i wanted examples of what kind of things your children do.my child gets really hyper and cant sit still when he gets in loud places like his classroom at school but when hes at home where its quiet he can sit down quietly. he also puts way to much food in his mouth when he eats . he runs out into parking lots without looking. no sense of danger.he hastes tags in clothes and his socks have to be tight and short or they bug him. his doctor when he was younger says he have adhd but im not so sure. i am bringing him next week for a iq test and evaluation by a child psychologist. also this week at school the first 3 days he couldnt stay still to take a nap and the last three days they let him use a weighted blanket and he fell asleep right away. he also said that they put a weighted vest on him and he says it made him feel better. like he didnt have to run.
    grace985

Answer by grace985 at 8:48 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• does any of this sound like your kids with spd?
    grace985

Answer by grace985 at 8:53 AM on Aug. 22, 2009