How do I handle when teen ager does not want to be in ese classes anymore but you know she will not be able to grasp what is in regulard ed, she already wants to return to middle school.

tink571

Asked by tink571 at 7:01 AM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• What are "ese" classes?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:08 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• is like special needs.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:08 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• My cousin was in special ed. most of her school career but she worked hard to get into the general classes. They started w/ her best subject and moved her over subject by subject. She did great she was even on the honor roll. She still needed help during tests they would help in the same way they do during the time when she was in the special ed classes but she would just have to go down to the class during test time. Speak w/ her teaches see what they think.
    o0gone0o

Answer by o0gone0o at 11:55 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I would show some faith in my kid and let them try , It is amazing what a lil encouragement can do
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I would let her go to regular school. If it becomes too difficult for her, you can always take her out of it.
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 1:13 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Can you get an IEP put in place for her at the middle school? If so,then I would let her try.And you can always tutor on the side....we did this with my oldest(not in ese classes) with her learning challenges,along with extra tutoring...she found out she couldn't hack it,quit and is now earning highest wage possible in her career choice!! Woohooo!
    starrsun

Answer by starrsun at 4:21 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• What are ESE classes? She can go to a regular school and get an IEP in place at her middle school. Let her try a regular school and see what happens. She may surprise you with the her abilities.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:14 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• What is the reasoning for an alternative educational placement? Why can her needs not be met in the regular education classroom? Has anybody ever tried? What's in her IEP? The law says that she should be educated in the "Least Restrictive Environment" (LRE) & that usually means the home school & classroom, which is usually the same school her same grade peers are attending. Special Education is a service, not a place!

The fact that your DD is asking to return to school with her peers indicates to me that it may be time to reassesss her current educational needs with her IEP team. You never know, there may be a way to meet your child's needs in the regular education classroom or, if available, she could attend her ESE classes in the same building as her peers.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:20 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Kids tend to live up to or down to their parents' and teachers' expectations of them, at least in part. Support her in her desire to achieve more. Moving from regular ed back to ese is always possible if it becomes necessary. If she wants to spread her wings and try, I think you should consider allowing it.

I have two teens, one with special needs and one super high-achieving. I hold them both to the same measure of success. That is that they do their best. Whatever measure of success they achieve, if it is less than their best, they need to do more. If it is their best, then they are doing everything I would ask of them, regardless of what absolute measure of success that is.

Love her and support her through her efforts, even if she struggles. Especially if she struggles. Imagine she is climbing the rope in the school gym. You are standing below, cheering her on, ready with open arms should she fall.

Good luck.
    wildtamer

Answer by wildtamer at 2:24 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Thank you for your responses. She has an iep in place,she cannot read or write , short term memory at times, she is going into high school with special needs kids. She is helpful and energetic. She is diagnosed with autism spectrum ppd and tries very hard. I try to give her as much encougement as i can. I know how frustrated she is and see how hard it is for her.

I will give and example , she wanted to help me in grocery store to go get items shampoo , other items, she brought back things that looked like the bottles but where something else all together. I know how overwhelmed I can get with all the products so I can imagine if you could not read any of them how would you feel. I have tried tutor and many things , the only thing that seems to have help is video dvds but there are none cool enough for her age I can find. any one know somewhere to get these for teenager?
    tink571

Answer by tink571 at 11:29 PM on Aug. 22, 2009