I have hepatitis C and just learned I am pregnant, what are the chances of the baby contracting it?

I have a slew of health issues from a bad lifestyle years ago. I m worried i I should even keep this baby. My problems are, hep c, genital warts (no outbreak in a long time and i only had an outbreak once), and I am on methadone. Has anyone had a baby while dealing with any of this? i really need advise, I am ashamed to even o to the doctor. Im 5 weeks pregnant. I would appreciate any comment at all. Oh and i already have a 9 year old but that was before any of these issues.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You need to go to the doctor now. The earlier you get the needed care, then there a are better changes for healthy baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:28 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I honestly cant say .
    I would go to a dr soon tho.
    Dont be ashamed everyone makes mistakes,
    Good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:29 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• My BIL laws girlfriend has had two kids while on methadone and I am not 100% but I believe she has hep c. With her first she did not even cut down on the amount of methadone she was taking and the baby has an eye problem called nystagmus. He went through withdrawal after birth and was in the hospital for 6 weeks. The second baby, which was born just 11 months after the first, went through withdrawal but not as intense because she was on a lower dose of methadone while pregnant. He doesn't seem to have any problems yet (he is only a month old). No one ever mentioned them having hepatitis, so I do not think they contracted it. What you need to do is see a doctor and cut back on your methadone, if you are already on a low dose you may be able to get off of it completely. I know you are ashamed but see a doctor and they can help you. Good Luck

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Keep the baby, genital warts won't be contracted to the baby, I know b/c my cousins mom and dad had them before she was born and she's fine. They can cure hepatitis C and they probably will if the baby gets it, she or he will be taken care of. God sent you this baby for a reason you should seek a doctor and he or she will explain everything to you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Oh and stop the f-ing methadone lady, there's other ways to deal with addictions, the methadone's not good at all for the baby or you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• The baby CAN get the hep C, however those chances are slim, If you happen to be experencing an out break during dilivey, they will do a ccetion because it can get into babies eyes-
    As far as the Methodone, honey, I know about addiction, I've been there, done that, and since moved on. it sounds impossible to stop and clean up your act, and I know you feel like u need it, but if your asking us about it, you know its wrong, and have guilt over it. See a doctor and go to a treatment program, cold turkey is never easy and until someone has walked in your shoes, they can't give good advice, or understand where your coming from.
    Its time you think about baby, and the baby your alredy raising, what kind of life, and example of living do you want to set for them...
    If I can do it, SO CAN YOU!
    Doctors are here to help, not judge.
    So see a doctor ASAP.
    if u want to help. Im here.
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 10:43 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• My adopted son has Hep C. He contracted from his birthmom during delivery when he must have swallowed some of her blood. The chances of this happening are about 3% of all deliveries. Then, of that 3%, many will clear the virus within the first year. My son was one of the very unlucky ones, but you shouldn't worry too much - it is very rare. Make sure that the doctor who is delivering your baby knows and talk to him/her ahead of time about taking every precaution possible to avoid your baby swallowing blood. Your baby should be tested, but even if it showed up positive, it could be just your antibodies, and it wouldn't be definite until the child was 1 and no longer carried any of your antibodies. As far as genital warts, I don't know, but there are so many people in the US that have them or have had them that I just can't imagine it would be harmful and we wouldn't know. Your doctor can answer that. sue
    SueMck

Answer by SueMck at 7:44 PM on Sep. 21, 2009