Catholics and gambling

I grew up in a Methodist church but went to Catholic school off and on and it always shocked me that they had 'casino nights', bingo every Wednesday and would raffle off brand new cars which they displayed out on the front lawns of the churches (they STILL do this) to bring in new converts.

So, do catholics not think gambling is bad or is it okay when it's to raise money for the church or charity it runs?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:38 AM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Quoting IHartU: So don't you consider the church offering bingo and casino night as tempting those that have a problem or maybe contributing to the cause of addiction? Doesn't seem right somehow.

I just don't see it that way.  Someone else mentioned food in one of the answers -- gluttony is also a sin.  So should churches not host receptions or bake sales because they might tempt someone to overeat?

LibbyLife

Answer by LibbyLife at 5:40 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• LOL....I had no idea they did this. How funny. I have found that many people (all denominations) find ways to justify gambling or even fundraising (which I despise) when its for ministry reasons. I just feel like God will provide but I hate begging for money. Thats just me though.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:49 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• When my daughter was in gymnastics it was one fundraiser after another and I can't sell ANYTHING! I feel like I'm begging and it makes me so uncomfortable. I cringe everytime one of the kids brings home that packet of fundraising material- especially when they have to sell candy bars because they end up eating it all and I have to pay for it!
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:51 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• i'm not sure, as i'm not catholic. as an xtian, i can say the first scriptural reference that comes to mind(possibly referring to gambling, or other 'reckless' behavior using assets/money/etc) speaks of managing your financials/assets. the bible doesn't specifically mention gambling, per se.
    "The Bible emphasizes the sovereignty of God (Matt. 10:29-30), while gambling is based upon chance. The Bible admonishes us to work creatively and for the benefit of others (Eph. 4:28), while gambling fosters a "something for nothing" attitude. The Bible condemns materialism (Matt. 6:24 25), while gambling promotes it." (crosswalk.com)
    excessive gambling/''reckless financial behavior'' leads to debt, covetousness ('i make more, so i buy more'),greed, family stress/strife...IMO.

this could be one of the many areas that a person has to decide for themselves whether they can handle it or not, despite what the church/man says.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:18 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I just always though it strange that Protestants are sooooooooooo against gambling and the Catholics aren't.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:44 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Quoting IhartU:  I just always though it strange that Protestants are sooooooooooo against gambling and the Catholics aren't.

I think it's similar to how some Protestants are also against drinking any alcohol, but Catholics aren't.  Because drinking alcohol can lead to drunkenness, wife-beating, etc., some protestants avoid it completely.  As a Catholic, I try to avoid drinking alcohol to excess, but I don't think it is intrinsically evil.  Personally, I have no desire to go to Las Vegas and waste money gambling, but playing low-stakes bingo or buying raffle tickets for a car that is part of a fundraiser for a school or mission trip doesn't seem in the same league to me at all.  Small amounts of money are at stake in these bingo games and raffles.

LibbyLife

Answer by LibbyLife at 10:21 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Here's what the Catechism says:

2413
    Games of chance (card games, etc.) or wagers are not in themselves contrary to justice. They become morally unacceptable when they deprive someone of what is necessary to provide for his needs and those of others. The passion for gambling risks becoming an enslavement. Unfair wagers and cheating at games constitute grave matter, unless the damage inflicted is so slight that the one who suffers it cannot reasonably consider it significant.
    LibbyLife

• So don't you consider the church offering bingo and casino night as tempting those that have a problem or maybe contributing to the cause of addiction? Doesn't seem right somehow.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:31 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I guess I don't see what the big deal is. I know of protestant churches that also hold casino night type things. Also, a lot of churches hold raffles and isn't that gambling too? I think to single out Catholics is wrong. None of the churches I've belonged to (all Catholic) have has casino nights, but they have had auctions for the school where money also goes to the church. They have had chili cook offs where the big issue was that someone wanted to serve beer and the priest said no. Never any casino night though. The K of C sometimes holds bingo nights, but really? Bingo is lame. But Catholics believe that moderation is the key, not total deprivation.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:34 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I signaled them out anime, because I live in a heavily Catholic city and EVERY Catholic church around here holds gambling nights and raffles off cars and even has parish carnivals where they serve beer and it's been that way since I can remember. I have NEVER seen a Protestant chuch hold a gambling night or even a turkey raffle. If the Catholic church thinks gambling and drinking might lead to excess and cause people to sin, you'd think they'd not condone such behavior.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:47 PM on Aug. 21, 2009