Can a SAHM have a solid friendship with a Working Mom?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Aug. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• Sure .. my bff is a very hard working mom & i am a sahm.. we totally respect each other!
    you will always find differences.. either you have a no-kid friend who doesnt understand having kids, you got the single moms (or married moms), everyone has different views on raising kids, money issues, family values, differences in marraige values... the list goes on..
    u must love & respect & try to help a friend & uplift your friends & help them...

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:24 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• ya i do, my sister n law and a friend that live a couple of towns over.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 9:08 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I stay home and my best friend for about 20 yrs works full time. There is a lot of controversy over these decisions but there doesn't have to be, stay at home or work...it is a personal decision. This issue has NEVER come up between us!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I have. I'm a SAHM and I have had several very close, good friendships with working moms. I also have had very good friendships with women that didn't have kids and worked.

As long as everyone respects each others choices and don't infringe on them (always expecting babysitting unless you have an agreement, or truly don't mind and they don't resent it when you don't want to), or always saying how the other one has it so much better, etc, then there isn't a problem.

Basically, respect boundaries and personal choices and focus on what you have in common and like to do together, and it's fine.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:26 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I don't see why not?
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 9:57 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I have a few moms that work. Its a different KIND of relationship and you do different things, but theres no reason why you cant. You have to like one another and value your friendship MORE than your differences.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:01 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I do! We just get together on weekends with the kiddos. They think I have the harder job (SAHM); I think they do! lol
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 10:20 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• All my friends are SAHMs. The only moms I associate with that work are my SILs , other than that they are all SAHMs. All my friends are friends with each other. We all went to school and college together, childhood neighbors, family friends and some of my friends/classmates just happen to marry my brothers. I have friends that have Masters degrees but choose to stay at home. I'll never look down on them because they choose to stay at home and they don't look at me differently because I choose to work. The only variation between us is I do my grocery shopping on Saturdays, while they do theirs Monday thru Friday.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 10:51 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Why would this even be an issue? Who would really make that a criteria for friendship?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Not if either one demeans the other...in my opinion it kinda seems like their is a lot of conflicting interests and you need to find friends who are dealing with the same issues as yourself in order to feel true support. It's not impossible, but it would take more work to see where the other is coming from.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 1:55 PM on Aug. 21, 2009