Lucifer and Satan the same thing?

How many of you think they are one and the same?

I found this great article that explains the differences and sheds some interesting light on how they meshed as one and how Satan came to be what he is known as today:

http://www.theosophy-nw.org/theosnw/world/christ/xt-ibel2.htm

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:04 AM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The reference in Isaiah is comparing Satan to Nebuchadnezzar (Geneva Study) and it has been said that the use of "morning star" for Satan in contrast to the proper title of "Morning Star" for Jesus is making reference to Satan as being "an Anti-Christ" or "The Anti-Christ" (Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary).

I think the article was interesting and interpreted the verse in the way that a Jewish individual might. Jews view Satan as "heaven's prosecutor" (more or less) who serves the purpose to point out humankind's flaws to God and that they are unworthy of his grace (the Jewish interpretation of Job is also fascinating). They also interpret some portions of the Old Testament that refer to Satan or the devil as not referring to an actual being but to the struggle against human nature.

I hold to the Christian view of Satan but have no qualms with a translation that does not feel "Lucifer" is the intended title for him.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:55 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• They are they same person, Devil, Satan, Lucifer, he has different names. BezzelBub is someone different, evil guy but not the devil.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 9:05 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I think not. Did you read the article?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:06 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Did your article come from the KJV bible, then no! The devil has many demons that work for him, reguardless of their names, I don't need to know their names, they are all evil and can go back to hell for all I care.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 9:10 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Just like GOD. The DEVIL has a lot of different names.

Answer by louise2 at 9:13 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Why are you so afraid to read an educational article? It's not biased in any way but gives historical facts, translations of Hebrew words and delves into where misconceptions come from.

You'd rather live in ignorance of where your beliefs come from? Do you fear having light shed on the false teachings about Satan and Lucifer you've been led to believe?

Go right ahead then...
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:15 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I didnt read the article, yet, but I will. Lucifier was his name while he was an angel of light. After he was thrown out of heaven and onto the earth, God began referring to him as Satan. Now what the significance is behind each name, I dont know. Just wanted to say that before I read the article.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:16 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Lucifer was an angel and the leader of the angels at one time until he wanted power over the humans and wanted to rule over heaven. Sad thing is he was the most beautiful of all the angels. Plus Lucifer was the angel that had beautiful music. It's heartbreaking now since he wanted to rule heaven he's now cast down to Hell to rule a place of his own along with all the angels that sided with him. Hard to imagine that alot of beautiful angels now are demons and messengers for the devil as we now know him today.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Ignorance, lady you are believing in revised here and there crap God knows who wrote it and how many times things have been changed who cares, believe what you want. Lucifer was an angel to begin with of course his name is going to mean light bearer or bringer Light is good, then he turned dark and fell from god's grace and is the darkest thing around us, and has this world snowed that's for sure! I read a paragraph and a half, then thought this crap is bull, until you meet Satan you won't understand!
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 9:19 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• After skimming through the article, I have to say that I personally dont regard much of what others say unless they are saying it with the perspective of a relationship with God. If they KNOW God and know his nature as well as his Word and what his Heart is, then I can receive from them in that perspective, but this writer seemed to be very confused at the wording of the Bible. God says in his Word that those who have ears to hear, let them hear. Meaning that unless youre tuned into God and filled with the Holy Spirit, his Word will be only words on a page to you and you cannot understand it. You might find some historical information or be able to contruct time lines, but your heart is not going to understand because you dont have "ears to hear". It makes sense to those with a relationship with him. I know the history of satan but more importantly, I know his fate and I know his assignment is to steal, kill and destroy....
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:24 AM on Aug. 21, 2009