Does your young child suffer from migraines?

My 4 year old son experienced his first migraine yesterday. I took him to the ER and they basically just told me what I already knew. He will be seeing his primary doctor on the 10th so I will ask her what she thinks. I think I'm going to request an MRI just to be on the safe side. Has your child ever had a migraine? What steps did you take to figure out what was causing them? Did you find anything that was life threatening? Is your child on meds for them? If so, can you provide me with the names of the medications he/she is taking and if they are helping? I appreciate anyones response.

vnw1405

Asked by vnw1405 at 9:37 AM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My son was a little older than 4 when his started showing up and like the previous poster, his are caused by stress. They get bad enough occasionally that he vomits. Allergies are also a cause of migraines. Good Luck, my son takes no meds, just goes to bed and lays in a dark room until his head feels better.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 10:03 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• My daughter has always had migraines. She's now 26. I have never had one, I don't even get regular headaches, so we were able to rule out "genetics". Because it was so foreign to me, I had her tested for so many things. We had x-rays, MRI's, CTscans, 75 allergy tests, sinus testing, etc. Nothing showed. After careful observation, it became obvious to me that it was brought on by stress. Eventually I could see by watching her, when she would wake up the next day with one. She's never been on meds. She's tried the, didn't like the feelings while on it. So no, she doesn't take anything for them. She stays in bed until it passes. She missed alot of school due to these, but because she was consistantly a high-honor student, there wasn't a problem. She still suffers with them, but her boss understands when she misses work.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 9:47 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Our 12 yr old gets them about once a month. I had him looked at, his Dr didn't feel the need to run tests so she told me to make sure he doesn't get dehydrated, or really hungry, because a drop in his blood sugar can cause them. When he does get one he gets 2 ibuprofen and he goes to lay in his room with a fan on and lights out. I agree stress is a major player in them as well.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:30 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• My 13 yr old gets them a few times a month and has had 2 MRI's and they have both been normal. He takes 3 Advil (600mg) at the onset of the headache and every 6 hours until it is gone. He needs a quiet/dark room.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:24 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I had them as a child and it turned out that I needed reading glasses. I had them to the point where the only way to get rid of them was to throw up. I'd take them to get their eyes checked before putting them on medicine.
    baboluchi56

Answer by baboluchi56 at 1:32 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• my 3 year old has migraines - but she's also got a seizure disorder (we're not sure which causes which yet)

hers are for the most part these days tuned in with the weather and the barometric pressure. we're in chinook country - the only place in the world where the barometric pressure can go from super high to super low in a matter of hours.

I've gotten used to her cues and can tell if she's going to have a bad day or a good day - a bad day she rubs her nose and is super clingy. tylenol and keep the noise levels down. keep it darker and mellow until it passes.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:30 PM on Aug. 22, 2009