Should I tell my daughter that she could get a STD from kissing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• You should stick to the truth. Most conditions, such as mononucleosis or oral herpes, are not usually considered sexually transmitted diseases, but can be passed on through oral contact. Diseases considered STD usually require a more intimate contact, but not necessarily intercourse. For instance, you can transmit crabs through less contact than intercourse.

Exaggerating will simply diminish the trust your daughter will have in you as a source of information, and this is a crucial age when you want your daughter to turn to you for advice and guidance, not avoid you because she might believe even you don't know any better.

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 9:53 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Yes! I wouldn't keep anything from my daughter's I want them to be healthy and make good decisions, there's a lot to contract out here from people and I'd explain the birds and the bees thouroughly no exceptions!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I don't think it is a good idea since she will eventally find out you were not tellling the truth. She will not forget that!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• yea bad idea...she ever finds out you were lieing about something that important she might not believe you when you DO try to tell her something as equally important
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 9:43 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Why would you want to tell her that? I have never heard of getting a STD from kissing.

Answer by louise2 at 9:46 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• You can get oral herpes from kissing, but oral herpes is not a sexually transmitted disease. Genital herpes is. It is very different from oral herpes. Other than that, I don't think you can get any STDS simply from kissing alone. A lot of people still question whether AIDS can be transmitted through saliva. It can be transmitted through other body secretions, but I don't think scientists have actually found saliva to transmit HIV.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 9:49 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Why would you want to misinform your child? How do expect to have a trusting honest relationship with someone you outright lie to? Not to mention, you would be teaching her that it's ok to lie.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Al right then let her get herpes of the mouth, that's crazy lady.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• No, you need to be truthful. That is as silly as telling her she can get pregnant from holding hands.
    Be honest and open and sex and she will make better choices.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:00 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Yes, she can get that and other stuff that could harm her.

http://kidshealth.org/teen/expert/birth_control/kissing.html
    7thdayBeauty

Answer by 7thdayBeauty at 10:00 AM on Aug. 21, 2009