Has anyone ever had an abnormal Pap test?

I went to my OB for a regular check up and a few days later the doctors office called and said the my Pap Test came back abnormal and I am wondering what does this mean.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Health

• I had an abnormal pap. Mine ended up being cirvical cancer. But it could be that they found the HPV viruse too. Thats what my doctor told me they looked for in paps.
    Anonymous

• What does your doctor suggest for follow up? Sometimes they do a test called a colposcopy to check for abnormal cells. Sometimes they just repeat the pap smear. It depends on the level of abnormality shown in the pap smear. Your doctor should advise you of what he/she wants to do next. Don't panic. There are many false positive pap smears.
    nell_brinkley

Answer by nell_brinkley at 1:05 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• But do follow up on it.
    nell_brinkley

Answer by nell_brinkley at 1:06 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• A lot of women have abnormal paps. I get them alot. It can mean a variety of things from HPV to cancer to just an odd test. Most will retest you in 6 months and if that is abnormal do a biosopy. Most don't want to rush intot he biosopy because it is generally nothing.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 1:07 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• the abnormal test inecated i had a high level of cells that would of turned into cancer if if i hadent gotten it treeted.after the pap a conebiopsy was done ( a scrapeing of these cells) sence than all of my pap tests have come back normal. i too have the hpv virus. continue to get tested if this is the case for you. i hope their is another explenation for your case. best of luck
    Anonymous