Work issues

I just started working in the kitchen at a nursing home. Within a week we have had 2 people put in their 2 weeks notice. My boss gave me tonight off because my babysitter is out of town at a funeral. I told them all yesterday that I was babysitting for her while she was gone. So what do they do, they call me at 6:30 this morning wanting me to come in because no body showed up. I told them I had a house full of kids. So they just called me back 15 minutes ago wanting me to come in tonight. MY BABYSITTER IS OUT OF TOWN AT A FUNERAL!!! What is so hard about this to understand? My husband won't be home till around 5:30 and I would have to be there at 4:30. Are they stupid? What should I do?

agrafel

Asked by agrafel at 10:01 AM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would try to find someone to watch the kids for an hour..maybe 2 teens could come over for an hour.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:02 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Anybody that I know has after school activities. I have a 15 year old that helps but she has volleyball practice and any of the kids that she would trust with my kids are in after school activities too. And plus I will have my babysitters kids till her husband gets home, she gets home, or his mom gets home which could be any where from 5-6.
    agrafel

Answer by agrafel at 10:14 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Since you have the day off, you're not obligated to go in. You can't get fired for it. Which, I'm assuming you're wanting to go in just to help out, and if so, just tell them the earliest you can make it is 6pm, and if that's not good enough, then stop calling you for the day.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:37 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Tell them you will be in as soon as you can times are tough and you want to make a good impression dont you that's why you always need a back up second baby sitter hun when hubby gets home go asap

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I need to go in because we need the money. My name was originally on the schedule but she changed it so that I could have the day off since my babysitter was going out of town for her grandmother's funeral. They knew she was going to be gone all day and that my hubby doesnt get home till around 6 every night. I have to be there at 4:30 to set up the tables and we serve at 5:30 so showing up at 6 isnt an option. I have tried contacting another friend of mine but I know my babysitter wouldnt want me leaving her kids with this friend (they cant stand each other). I looked at my schedule and idk why the person on the schedule isnt coming in tonight. He's always there when he's supposed to be.
    agrafel

Answer by agrafel at 10:51 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• How many kids, and what ages...could you take the kids with u? coloring books, and make them sit down for 1 hr. maybe a portable dvd player?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:19 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I will have a 8 month old, 17 month old, 3, 3, 4, and 10. I had mentioned bringing the playpen up and sitting the kids in the dining room where I could see them but idt my boss would go for it. The 8 month old requires too much attention. And theres no guarantee that someone would be there to pick them up before I had to serve supper.
    agrafel

Answer by agrafel at 11:37 AM on Aug. 21, 2009