As MIL says! Should I let my toddler get up by himself when he trips?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Unless mine is hurt, I almost always let her get up by herself. At first she cried everytime she fell. Now she only gets upset when she's hurt, which doesn't happen very often. It's a good thing they're so short and close to the ground, cause they fall...a lot!!
    HaydensMommy708

Answer by HaydensMommy708 at 10:34 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• If you pick him up and baby him every time he trips then he will always be reliant on you to do so, no matter how old he is. I am willing to bet that most of the time that he trips, he is just fine. So let him get back up on his own and keep going about whatever it was he was doing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I let dd get back up by herself when she fell, unless she got hurt.. Its just another milestone they will get through & you will be very busy picky your child up if you run to him every time he falls... i wouldnt want my child to expect me to help her through all her problems when i know she can figure it out herself..
    Try letting them as independent as possible without being mean about it..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:35 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• My son falls.all.the.time! It is sometimes hard to not go running, but he gets up without a tear! Even daycare said yesterday that he scrapped up his knuckles when he fell. He didn't cry and just got up and kept walking. A few minutes later, they noticed that his knuckles were actually bleeding. Unless it is a hard fall or he seems really hurt, I let him get up on his own. I think it is a good thing. For instance, my son DOES go to daycare and I know they can't always run for him when he trips. It lets him know that mommy is there if needed, but he is also ok on his own!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 10:36 AM on Aug. 21, 2009