Do you think I can make this work?

With all the things we had to do this month in regards to paying bills and getting the kids clothes and school supplies for back to school, Dr. appointment co-pays, dental work for youngest and the like our funds have dried up. I just got finished checking my account and I've got about 50 bucks to buy some groceries.

Our pantry is full of staples(juice, cereal, dinner sides like rice, and pasta sides) and we don't need anything in the way of dry goods like TP, Paper towels or personal items. For some reason I stocked up this past Sunday on bread and milk ( I bought an extra gallon and forgot we still had one at home and I froze the extra bread) at the grocery store. So basically we need meat and frozen veggies and the like to get us thru til my hubby gets paid on Friday.

Do you think it's possible to feed a fam of 4 over the next week on 50 bucks and what we have in the pantry?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• we do it all the time. just look at prices carefully. sometimes what you normally buy has a cheaper option, like ground beef in the freezer case instead of by the meat department and going to store brand frozen veggies. stuff like that. also if there are sales papers with coupons at the store take a look. they will likely have some you can use.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 4:56 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• sure just go first thing in the morning and get the reduced meat and hurry home and break it up and freeze it Good Luck

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I would get a big roll of hamburger meat either from Wal-Mart Grocery or Kroger, if you have a Kroger nearby. You can add comp at Wal-mart. Just bring in the adds from other stores to get cheap meat and veggies. I usually get a bag of chicken thighs, a roll of hamburger meat. I also get cans of tuna. We space out the meat.
    jenzachsam

Answer by jenzachsam at 10:25 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Yeah, if you only needs meats and veggies, you can definitely do it. Do you have a slaughter-house nearby? We have one in town, and I'll spend about $50 every 3-4 months on meat alone, because it is so cheap. You don't have to pay all the extra fees to transport and package/freeze etc., like at a grocery store. They slaughter cows themselves, so even steaks are uber-cheap. Also, for veggies, since it's summertime, go to a farmers market (if you live near a farming community) which is also really cheap, because they're not worried about a profit. They just want to get rid of it. Amish people sell especially cheap around here. Just stock up on what you can, and anything extra, throw it in the fridge. Or you can get 1lb boxes of frozen vegs at Kroger's usually for $1-$2.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:36 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Easily!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:28 AM on Aug. 21, 2009