How's your u/e lately?

Our news this morning reports one of the RV places that did massive layoffs last year is hiring (not recalling) 200 people. They have over 2000 applicants, including former employees. Course, our u/e rate has improved. It's dropped to 17%! Now there's only 1.7 in ten people out of work instead of 1.9 people in ten. Actually, I think that still works out to 2 in 10. I know nobody who has managed to get back into a normal job yet, just some who have settled into multiple shifts at Arby's/Starbucks/bartending.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:22 AM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• If you don't know Where you state stands this is a good website.

http://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.ak.htm

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• OBAMA. Saving jobs one latte at a time.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:27 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• As for the Country, unemployment numbers went up last week. For me, I live in TX, we are doing better, 7.5% down from 8%. Headed in the right direction.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:30 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I suspect most of our improvement is from unemployment running out so people aren't counted anymore. The RV layoffs started over a year ago, and even with the extended benefits, a lot of people were getting turned down or cut off early because the places were going under completely and the money wasn't there.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:31 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I'm probably one of those people that aren't counted any more, my benes are done. Also, many people are giving up looking for jobs so they probably aren't counted either since you have to be actively looking for work and fulfill your job search quota each week to get your UE benes. I still keep hearing about more of my friends and people we know that are losing their jobs. These are people that have been with their employers for a very long time and are anywhere from management to factory workers. There have been at least 3 or 4 businesses that have closed in the mall in the past 2 months and one just switched ownership (I expect it to close soon though). Our jobless rate is only 7.6% but that was as of June.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:55 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Last I heard, we're at 12.3%. In November when City Center opens, that's going to drop. I think they're opening something like 10,000 jobs. There are a few thousand more jobs opening up in the next couple of months on other projects.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:59 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• We went up to 12.1% from 11.2%. That doesn't include the 2 businesses who have reported leaving/shutting down. That will be another 2000 jobs.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:53 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I gave up using my degree as a stepping stone long time ago.

I opened the laundromat a year and a half ago because I was being discriminated against because I cant drive. "Reliable transportation" I have, but it's bullshit---they wont hire me anyway. Discrimination yes. Government admitting it, HELL NO.

So my brain goes crazy and I become a blogger on the net LOL:)
    chickaboom73

Answer by chickaboom73 at 11:58 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• July it was at 8.3% Unemployment here in Alaska. Oh and it is going up because the recession just hit here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Nearly 15% here.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:50 PM on Aug. 21, 2009