In your opinion, what is the best carseat for Extended Rear Facing?

My 11 month old has outgrown his rearfacing carseat. I am considering purchasing the Britax Advocate. I know it is expensive but as his father died in a car accident no expense will be spared when it comes to his safety. I plan to ERF for as long as I can and I like the Britax because it goes all the way to 65lbs for when he is forward-facing. Not to mention the air-cushion technology. I just want the safest carseat available for my baby. What do you have? Why do you like it? And if you could afford it, would you get the Britax Advocate?

WindyTheWidow

Asked by WindyTheWidow at 10:23 AM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my middle son RF to almost 2.5 in a britax than hit the weight req and we turned him :( I really like the graco air can go to 40lbs i think we will be getting that one when my 4 month old out grows his infant seat.

I am a HUGE britax fan though but the extra 5 lbs can make a HUGE difference. My son is almost 3 now and has stayed at 34lbs for almost 6 months now.
    MummyOf2ooo

Answer by MummyOf2ooo at 2:04 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I have the Evenflo Triumph Advance LX, and I love it. It also goes up to 35 lbs rear-facing; only 50 forward-facing, but by that point I will have gotten my son a toddler-to-booster seat so his little sister can have the convertible. It has a 5-point harness, the foam lining that absorbs impact, the shoulder straps that slide up and down to adjust instead of having to practically take the seat apart, and a knob on the side of the seat that adjusts the tightness of the straps. Those last two, and especially the tightening knob, are the big reasons I love this seat so much, as opposed to others of the same safety calibur. It's SO easy to use, but I'm not compromising safety. If I had the money, I may have gotten a Britax, but I'm not sure; I'd have to compare features side-by-side to see what exactly the Britax has that others don't and if it really makes it worth the money for safety.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:35 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Absolutely is I could afford it Id buy the Britax Advocate.I have a cosco and an evenflo for my boys because thats what i can afford but I can understand you reasonings and im sure your family is proud of you for being soooo responsible with your baby!
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 10:43 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I bought the Britax Boulevard and love it!! It rear faces up to 65 puounds and she is so comfortable. I don't even think about money when it comes to my little one. She gets the best of everything. And BTW, it IS top rated for crash test safety. Good luck
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:46 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Im sorry, it's 35 rear facing and 65 forward facing....my mistake :)
    calliesmommie

• Well, I have a Britax Boulevard and I love it. In your case I think it would be really hard to turn my child at even 35 lbs so I would buy the Graco My Ride which rear faces to 40 lbs! It does FF to 65 lbs but the shell is kind of short so I would be prepared to buy a Graco Natatulis afterwards!
    JasonsMom2007

Answer by JasonsMom2007 at 11:22 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I am very intrigued by this one: http://www.toysrus.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=3629011

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• My 13 month old is currently in a Graco Comfort Sport. While it's a nice car seat, and extra comfy for my chubby monkey, it only RF to 30 pounds, so we're saving to buy a Sunshine Kids Radian XT. It will RF to 40 pounds on models made after September 1, 2008, and will Harness to 80 pounds. I also like SK because they're the only car seat company to publish their crash tests. I think they're about the same price as the Britax. I love Britax, and would get either, but the SKRXT will fit better in my mid-size car since I already have a Graco Natulis and a HBB in there as well.

A million and one Kudos to you for choosing to ERF. I'm so sorry to hear about your son's father, but happy to hear that you're choosing to keep your son as safe as possible because of it.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:56 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• We love our True Fit. I've also heard good things about the Britax and Radian seats. I'm very happy with my purchase though. I even ERF in Mom's car in just a plain ol' Scenera, and it works well too.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:59 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I have a Britax Marathon and really like it. They are expensive, but the way I look at it, you get to use the seat until they are 65 lbs, which is probably at least 4-6 years, so over time, it's worth the money, to me. I will say that in my DH's car we have an Evenflo Titan, and I do not like it. The Britax's are definitely very nice, but I do believe there are others out there than are very safe and less expensive. As long as you make sure it's installed correctly, I think you should be fine.
    MagnoliaQueen

Answer by MagnoliaQueen at 12:16 PM on Aug. 21, 2009