my baby is going to a cardioligst

My 1 year old has his first appointment with the cardioligst on Wensday.He was born with PAC which is an irregular heart beat it was kind skipping a beat when you would listen to his heart.They ordered an x ray and an ekg both of which noted the abnormality.At his 1 week check up they heard nothing!!And this continued for the next year.I took my baby in 2 days ago for that 1 year check up and hes a big boy now and wont lay down and they heard it.The doctor messed with him a while laying him down sitting him up turning him on his side etc and discovered he still has PAC but you can not hear it when hes laying down,soooo wierd!The doctor gave me a referal and told me when they ask whats going on with him to tell them a murmur,that word scared the crap out of me!There are alot of things Im okay with doctors tinering with but his heart??Please tell me any stories you might have...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Sorry I don't have a story to tell you but I want to tell you i'm sorry you have to go through all this stress and I will keep you and your LO in my prayers
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• My daughter has a heart murmur. It's in her lungs. It's common in premies, but she was 37 weeks so considered term. Doc said it was innocent but wanted her checked anyway so at around 3 or 4 weeks we went to the cardiologist and they did a bunch of tests and said it was harmless but it was blood leaking out her lungs not her heart. Kinda werid. He said it'd go away in about 6 months but my daughter is 2 and as of about 18 months they mentioned she still had it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I work at Seattle Children's Hospital in the Heart Center. I am assistant to three electrophysiologists and 2 adult congenital heart disease docs. We see lots of kids here for a variety of heart issues. PACs or PVCs are not uncommon and most of the time do not pose any health risks. Your son may be put on beta blockers depending on what they find. They may also do an echo if they haven't already. Do your research before the appointment and make a list of questions to ask your cardiologist. Good luck!
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 11:30 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Better that they found a potential problem and are checking it out, rather than let it go thinking it's nothing and finding out too late that it was something.

He's just checking it out. He's being proactive in sending you to a specialist in order to discover if it's "nothing" or if it's not, what exactly it is.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:54 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Usually heart murmurs dissapear(skipped beats really) as kids get older. they are usually no big deal but it's better to get it checked out. i was born with congenital complete heart block. That means ny heart rate was always slow. I also had a murmur that cleared up. I was seen by a cardiologist since i was a month old. my parents treated me 'normal' at let me do what other kids did. When i was 21 they discovered I had a hole in my hearst. (surprised it wasn't found earlier with all the test i had during my life) That was closed. 3 years my hr slowed down enogh to have a pacemaker implanted. Glad I could wait on both surgeries because when i was younger it would've been open heart. Not any more. Just have a small scar. I'm sure your son will be fine.
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 3:10 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I have an arrythmia where my heart skips a beat. I'm 31, and I've had it for most of my life. I have no heart disease, my dr diagnosed the arrythmia when I went in for knee surgery at the age of 11 and he said it was nothing to be concerned about. I hope everything turns out for you and for your baby. Just keep telling yourself that just because he has a murmur doesn't mean it is necessarily something serious, his doctor just wants to check it to rule out anything serious.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:04 AM on Aug. 22, 2009