Can I get a tubal ligation at the age of 20 if I pay for it?

I have already had three pregnancies. Two of which were miscarriages. Although I would have loved and wanted those two other babies just as I do my LO, I do not really want another one if I can prevent it, nor do I want to go through another miscarriage.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I GOT MY TUBAL LIGATION WHEN I WAS 20 AFTER 2 KIDS. I GOT MINE DONE IN ARDMORE, OKLAHOMA.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I asked my doc the same question, she wouldn't do it, she said that they have done so many extensive studies that have proven that most people that do it between 20-26 have gotten it reversed or REALLY regretted doing it. I was PISSED, because I KNOW I dont want anymore. Most states say 3 or more living children and over the age of 21- OR one or more child, over the age of 25. However, usually if you have money, SOME doctor will do it. May I suggest the birth control I was on before this, IMPLONTON- its a 3 year implant in your arm, and it works SO well. Not ONE scare.

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 10:57 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Having had two miscarriages myself, I understand your fear. I think you can have one done, it just may be hard to find a doctor to perform it. You are still quite young and I think that will be a factor in finding someone to do it. Talk to your doctor and see what they say although I would be prepared for them to give you the "you might change your mind in 5-10 years" talk! Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:58 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Is there not some other form of bc you can use? I so understand your reasoning for wanting a tubal, but the docs are going to want you to be very sure. You are so young to decide on permanent no more children. What if when you are 28 you decide that all is great and wonderful and you want another baby? A reversal is possible, but depending on the way they do the tubal it may not be reversible. Of course it should be your decision regardless of what the doc s say, so if you are completely sure and if you keep telling the doc you want one, eventually they will.
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 12:00 PM on Aug. 21, 2009