Do you believe...

The thing we go through, like when we mess up, bring us closer to God? I feel like the struggles I'm facing right now are bringing me closer to God, and even though I'm working through some issues God might not be pleased with, I feel like it might bring me to a closer walk with him. I know God doesn't cause bad things to happen, but He allows them too, do you think this happens sometimes to deepen our relationship with Him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Put simply, yes.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 11:04 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• In some ways.

Basically, I think the trials/struggles we go through bring us closer to ourselves and for some, by doing that we become closer to the Divine/God.

But mostly, it strengthens ourselves and our own spirits,etc.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:45 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Nah, it pushes me further away from religion altogether.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:47 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• YES. I believe that sometimes God has to bring us to our knees / or hit rock bottom in order to have us look UP TO FIND HIM...
    I mean, really, when you're at your lowest and feel there's nowhere to turn, don't you finally call on God for His help, His guidance,...etc.
    I know I do.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 12:17 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Yes
    MaryJane849

Answer by MaryJane849 at 12:17 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Yes.. it does to build character and to bring forth destiny in our lives.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:44 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Oh yes. I have made some HUGE mistakes in my life, and each one made me realize just how wonderful God's grace and mercy is!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:15 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Love the fact that you recognize that God doesn't cause things to happen but allows them to happen!!

How can we ever know what we're made of and capable of and how deep our faith goes if those things are never tested? When we pray for strength and faith we sometimes find out we had it all along by finding ourselves in a situation where we are required to use it!

Remember, God knows what we need before we even ask. But that doesn't mean we still don't have to ask and then be satisfied with the answer.

jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 2:04 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Nah, it pushes me further away from religion altogether

"Religion" and "God" are not necessarily the same thing. They should be, but usually aren't.
    SaraCVT

Answer by SaraCVT at 3:37 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Yes, that is one of the reason God allows trials into our lives. God knows there are certain lessons we humans need to learn "the hard way". If I never struggle with overcoming a sin how then will I know God's power in overcoming sin? How will I know He still loves me when I mess up, if He kept me from messing up?

Even the struggles that are not of our own making draw us closer to God. We humans tend to get the idea that we are in charge and we can "handle" things. God wants us to depend on Him. He knows His strength is greater by far than ours so He wants us to rely on that rather than our own.

When we go through trials and difficulties it is a good time to show those that don't believe how much God's strength can get us through. The other thing is that if Christians were perfect the moment of salvation how would we relate to those who are not Christians?
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 4:06 PM on Aug. 21, 2009