I found out my Doc wants meinduced on the 31st

I'm due on the 27th, but she says he is so big and my body isnt really doing what it needs to to help him along, so she set up an induction.
I'm not happy about this at all. I wanted a natural birth experence. Both my sisters got set up or an induction and both ended up walking out with a C Section- I guess for me, I can't help but think that there doctors gave up on them (because nothing was wrong with babies) and just said "fuck it, I want to be home for American Idol" and just C Sectioned for a faster day-
I'm no doctor, so I don't know what signs to look for when a C-section is NEEDED, and not just the "easy way out"
GURR, Im upset if you can't tell, and I just wan to feel like its gonna be ok.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You will be fine. Doctors actually hate C-sections so if your dr want to do one he/she is choosing that option for the best of you and your little one. Sometimes being induced can workout for the baby and get him moving in the right direction. Best Wishes
    Se-Se

Answer by Se-Se at 11:15 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• They CAN NOT force an induction on you! If you don't want one, don't agree to one! An estimated large size is not a good reason for induction (and it sounds like you're smart enough to know that). Get some evening primrose oil to massage on your cervix. It's totally safe- it will NOT induce labor, it simply softens the cervical and surrounding muscles in preparation for the birth without side effects, hopefully that will help you. Good luck!
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 11:15 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• my ob wanted to induce me if my baby wasn't here by a certain date b/c he was big, i ended up going into labor @ 36 weeks and had him the day after i went into the hospital but i wasn't progressing fast enough to keep the baby out of distress so they gave me pitocin to speed things up, that's probally all they'll do, that & break your water (they had to do mine too) i had him vaginally & he was 8lbs 6oz, if i would have gone full term then i might not have been able to have him vaginally, that may be why your doctor wants to induce you b/c the bigger the baby is, the greater your chances are for having a section GL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:15 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• You DO have options. Because the baby may or may NOT be "big" that decision was selfish, you are right. There is so much to say here. But you do have EVERY right to make a long list of questions, get them answered SPECIFICALLY (w/facts that support this route), and research the answers. Because it is not rec'd for OBs to operate on suspicion of something that isn't that big a deal (nature knows how to work those babies down), get to the heart of the matter.

IF there were to be a problem later you can know that you're already in a hospital where the OR is always ready for you. No need to go that route first!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:21 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• what does doc mean you body isn't doing what its supposed to? if there are medical complications in your body or baby's its' important to listen to dr.

I had a labor and was induced being two and a half weeks past my due date on delivery date plus then i had an emergency section cause baby was not moving down at all for my first baby. And I was hospitalized for a week because I got an infection being so late. My next two babies were repeat sections - their sizes were close and wanted to lessen infection chances.

You are absolutely a mommy who have birth if you have to have a section. The baby grew in you and was born from your body. That means you gave birth. La Leche told me its most important to look at all options to birth baby and feed baby BUT what's most important of all is a healthy pregnancy, healthy mommy and healthy baby however baby is born.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• A lot of women have gone through this and come out on the other side~  but ANGRY!   They want to help others avoid unnecessary cesareans like theirs was.
    I can offer some info:

Big Baby Balogna

Caesarean Myths Exploded.

A great clip on YouTube from ICAN about CPD here.

http://bellybelly.com.au/articles/birth/small-pelvis-big-baby-cpd

doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:41 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• "what's most important of all is a healthy pregnancy, healthy mommy and healthy baby however baby is born"

It is really important to not have resentment, though, too.   (Especially if anything happened because of an unnecesary cesarean.)  

If someone had told me before (easily!) naturally birthing my 10-pounder (without even a tear) that she would be so big then I might have bad fears.    But I had no idea-- only faith in my body to do what it is supposed to do.

The OP can ask more questions to flesh out this Big Baby theory.   She can get other opinions, too.   If you ask a surgeon what to do they might be likely to say, "surgery."   If you ask a midwife she might say, "get off the bad & wriggle, no biggie!"

doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:47 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Resentment comes from other people piling on guilt more often than ourselves generating guilt, doulal.

It's too bad there are more practices of obs with midwives as partners. Every womans body is not made chemically, hormonally, physically to push out babies. Why? Because we all fluctuate those differently than others more often than not.

Don't put words where I didn't type them, I never said she should ask questions, research. Lord knows I did for each of my births. I also gave birth three times at the highest neos in case of unforseen complications - no way was my baby if born sick gonna be in a different hospital than me.

I assured op she's still a mom and a woman for having an epi and section. I had faith too doula. I had faith that what was most important was my baby and me not my baby and my ego. Egos hurt longterm most often interrupting the egotist's life and those around.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• ... meant- it's too bad there aren't more practices of obs with midwives as partners. (friends in different parts of the country have said that they've chosen their midwives by how many midwives work in an ob practice - the more midwives the fewer sections), never said she SHOULDN't ask questions ...

I visited hospitals at the beginning of my pregnancies and interviewed doctors' practices. for my second and third babies about vbac vs repeat for me. For my own health the slight chance of a repeat infection like with my first overdue and labor section was absolutely not worth chance repeating.

Doulal or another mom - what does a midwife do that a doula does or doesn't? Who knows someday my now 21 year old daughter might want a doula. I sure would like to know more about them. Do hospitals have doulas who r 'for hire' for moms? I don't think midwives work in a hospital 'for hire' but instead work by for obs or thems.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• You body isn't supposed to do anything prior to labor, so i don't know what your doctor means. There is no reliable way to determine the babies size until it is born and even ACOG does not advice inductions for possible large babies. If you don't want to be induced: you don't have to! It is your body and you are the only one that can decide what to do to it or not.
    Personally i would stop allowing internal checks and not agree to the induction, its asking for problems especially since your body is apparently not getting ready for birth yet.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 12:29 PM on Aug. 21, 2009