How to explain an 9 year old about the Menstrual Cycle she will soon have?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on Aug. 26, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Try and use terms she can understand. Let her know that she shouldnt be afraid, and it happens to all girls. Teach her how to care for her body and the importance of cleanliness. When I was in 5th grade, there was a special time for the girls to talk to a female staff member about this subject. They showed us a movie and gave us a pamphlet to take home and share with our mothers. See if they have this in the district where you are. This may help you with ideas of what to say to your daughter.
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 1:21 PM on Aug. 26, 2008

• Get the book "The Care and Keeping of You". It talks about all the changes that she will be going through but doesn't go into sex.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:51 PM on Aug. 26, 2008

• Our drs office had a pamphlet about puberty and expected changes that opened the subject to "her" in particular, but mostly be open and honest about what you go through. You don't have to be graphic, but please let her know. She may have questions already and when you bring it up will then ask so you'll know how the conversation needs to go, but she didn't know how to ask until you brought it up. I remember girls who were so clueless when I was in middle school, but it was always common knowledge to me from mid-elem age because my mother was just truthful about what happened with her. I've found it's working well to be that way with mine now too.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 11:28 PM on Aug. 26, 2008

• I would first contact the school nurse and/or counselor and find out their approach. We are very upfront and open parents. So, when it came that time in 5th grade, I attended class that day, as I was interested in how they taught this in their health class. To be quite honest, (and I'm a nurse) I wasn't quite the happiest person in the way these children were informed. Now I realize times have changed since I was 10 (27 years to be exact) however, certain things just need to be taken care of by parents.
    nu_sportsmom

Answer by nu_sportsmom at 2:20 AM on Aug. 27, 2008

• Along the same lines, I was told by the counselor that sadly, there are many kids who don't get any information at home, and that is why there is so much given at school. I know this isn't quite along the lines of your question. But I wish more parents would either attend that day or get more information. As for an answer to your ?
    nu_sportsmom

• Sometimes we think they don't know as much as they really do. When my daughter was that age, I gave her an article from the internet. She was already using the computer a lot, so I was able o print the article and give it to her. It was hard for me to talk to hr- probably cause no one ever talked to me, so that made it easier,. if she needed more information, she had the link on the paper she could go to. She's 12 now by the way.
    momin1995

Answer by momin1995 at 3:52 PM on Aug. 27, 2008

• I have talked openly with both of my daughters (7 and 10) about puberty. I also went to the library and checked out some books on the subject for my oldest to read. When she has questions she comes and asks. I also told her when the time came and she got her period I would stop whatever I was doing and come to her. That made her feel safe and happy. I remeber being so scared. Just talk open and honestly to her.
    mommamonkey355

Answer by mommamonkey355 at 10:24 PM on Aug. 27, 2008

• I NEVER HIDE MINE (NOT THAT I LET THEM IN THE BATH ROOM WITH ME) BUT WHEN THEY ASKED WHAT PADS OR TAMPOONS WERE WE SAT DOWN AND TALKED ABOUT IT. I ALWAYS REENFORSED THAT IT WAS A GOD GIVEN THING AND YES SOMETIMES IT HURTS AND SOMETIMES IT DOESN'T, BUT I AM VERY REAL WITH MY GIRLS I NEVER TELL THEM THAT IT WILL NOT HURT IF IT DOES. i ALSO GOT MY OLDEST (9) A BOOK FOR WALMARTS THAT EXPAINS EVERYTHING THAT CAN HAPPEN AND WILL HAPPEN WITH PMS AND BETTER HYGENE DURING THAT TIME. I WISH I COULD REMEMBER THE NAME BUT I CAN'T. BUT WE HAVE BEEN THROUGH ACNE ALREADY SO I GUESS WE WILL DEAL WITH THE RED DAYS
    MommyChrissyB

Answer by MommyChrissyB at 11:52 PM on Aug. 27, 2008