what do you do to help save money?

bonnie-jo

Asked by bonnie-jo at 11:24 AM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• We canceled all television services and just use netflix instead.

With their instant queue, we get to watch all sorts of shows and movies on the spot without any commercials at about 15% of the cost of TV.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• When my pay is deposited into my account, I transfer most of it into another account, leaving myself an allowance until my next payday.  That way my hot little debit card can't touch it.  Also since I bank on-line it takes 24 hours for a transfer to be processed, that means I can't impulse buy either. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:35 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Check sales and stock up on things that you know you will use, toilet paper, paper towels, baggies, etc. Walgreen's has awesome coupons in every Sunday's paper, I usually stock up there. Consider cancelling your home phone service and just use a cell phone, long distance is normally free on most plans. Cancel all of your fancy cable channels, think of how often you watch them. Use Redbox to rent movies, it is only $1 per 24 hour period and you can return any movie that you've rented to any location. Check resale shops for kids clothes, you can usually get brand name items at a fraction of the regular price. Target has fantastic clearance sales, especially on kids clothes, check the racks regularly.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 11:49 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Rent all movies and music Cd's from the library (I'm a librarian so it's easy). I haven't paid for a rental or CD in a couple years.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 11:59 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• My wages barely cover my expenses so I don't have much of a choice but to NOT SPEND MONEY. I budget every dollar for what we need each month and if there's a few dollars left over I save it for later (and I always end up needing it too).
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 12:07 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I cook from scratch, make my own laundry detergent, shampoo, soap, etc. We shop at Costco for the best prices for the things we do buy. I am starting to make our own clothes. We don't have cable or satelitte. We have a large garden and will can and preserve our own fruits and vegetables for throughout the winter and next year. We have a wood furance for heat and cut our own wood. That is what comes to mind off the top of my head. I am sure that there are others.
    Kristin216

Answer by Kristin216 at 2:32 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Lower our utilities usage as much as possible so that our bills are lower, pay extra on credit card debt so we can pay it off sooner and gain a better credit rating, don't drive anywhere unless absolutely needed, run all my errands in one day, purchase what we can stand in generic or store brands, buy as much clothing as we can from Goodwill and then buy the rest from sales and outlet stores, buy most used items in bulk, place any money remaining in our checking account at the end of the month into our savings and start fresh the next month, and do as much of our own home repairs as possible.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 3:12 PM on Aug. 21, 2009