Realistically speaking how much child support do you think a father should pay? Percentage or dollar amount....

i was just wondering what we mommy's think about it?

jaidah917

Asked by jaidah917 at 11:27 AM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• really i think it depends on what he makes.
    I honestly think parenting is a 50 / 50 thing and each parent should at least pay half.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 11:29 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Honestly it depends. Do you have a job? Who pays for the childs health care? Do either of you have other children? It all goes into account. Personally, though, regardless of all of it, I think a dad needs to AT LEAST pay $150 a month per child. (Again, it is different for every situation, but yea, the dead beats out there who pay $25 a month because they don't have a job, that is a bunch of BS!)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Well if a man has 3 families to support I don't know how they can calculate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• A percentage of what both parents make. A base amount for cost of living and additional for daycare
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• 17% in my state
    but it depends on many factors
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• It should be percentage based on total kids - meaning if there is court ordered support for 1 with the ex, and he has 1 with the new wife, the 1 with the ex should get an equal share as the one who lives with him. A set dollar amount creates situations where the kid(s) living elsewhere is cared for, but the one(s) at home are having to go without.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:35 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• It's a really tricky situation with child support, i'd say based on income but they could do like my son's father and lie about how much he makes and what he pays out. I get $406 a month and still barely get by. $150 a month, what is that going to do???
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:45 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I think ours was calculated pretty fairly, both of our incomes, percent taken out of mine as I had another child at home, then split 54/46 (I think) with him paying that bit more b/c I had her full time. And although he lied about what he made and I ended up paying insurance, I've left it at that amount for 5 yrs now. It's supposed to be redone every 3 years and I've never bothered, I've never been out to bankrupt him. I just think that even though he chooses not to see her he needs to help support her.
    cheez1e

Answer by cheez1e at 11:47 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• $150 per child? That would not even cover 1/2 month's childcare!

Basically I believe he should pay for 1/2 of what it costs to raise the child in the lifestyle that corresponds to his income level, but the amount he pays should probably not exceed 20 - 25% of his pre-tax income. So, if he make $2,000/month he should probably not be required to pay more than $400 - $500, and if he makes $5,000/month he should probaly not pay more than $1,000 - $1,250. That seems pretty fair to me even though I know my standard of living would have to go down based on this if my husband and I ever split up.

I think it would get pretty complicated when there were multiple childrten with multiple mothers - I'm not sure how that should work!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• The father should pay part of the rent, utilities and food, whatever the child's portion is determined as (eg 1/3 of the rent, 1/3 of he utilities, etc). He should also pay for 1/2 of the clothes, shoes, toys, medical, diapers, etc the child needs). This is especially true if the mom was a SAHM and he's the one that initiated the divorce/left her. She shouldn't be left to take care of all the household bills by herself. The child needs a roof over his/her head, they need hot water and heat, etc. So the father should help with these expenses too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on Aug. 21, 2009