Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Realistically speaking how much child support do you think a father should pay?

Percentage or dollar amount.... i was just wondering what us women thought!

Answer Question

Asked by jaidah917 at 11:34 AM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • i answered this .
    I think no matter what it should at least be half.
    it is a 50 / 50

    Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 11:36 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

  • I'm actually going through this right now with my ex. In my state it's somewhere between 12 and 20 percent. I told him I'd meet him in the middle at 16 until we went to court. It came out to roughly $600 per month. He told me to get bent and hasn't paid a dime since he left. Now I'm so angry I want as much as humany possible. I know that's probably terrible, but why should he get to go have a fun single life when I'm left with the responsibility of raising our daughter on my own, and yes, I'm totally on my own? Why is it ok that he makes over 50k per year and I have to rely on food stamps to feed our daughter? That's not to say I'm going to go blow the money I get from him. My acutal plan is, when I finally do find a job, to live on that and as little of the child support as possible. The rest goes into investment funds for our daughter to have when she reaches 21 or graduates from college, whichever comes last...

    Answer by HaydensMommy708 at 11:49 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

  • ...cont. As far as 50/50 goes, that would be great, but impossible to figure. What most people, especially absentee dads, don't understand is that child support doesn't just go toward clothes, food and school supplies. It also goes toward the rent/mortgage so the child has a home, utilities for that home, gas for the car to get that child to school, dr. appts, activities, repairs to keep the car running to get the child the places she/he needs to go. The list goes on and on, and unfortunately there is no way to calculate it so it's 50/50. It's a horrible situation to be in, and I feel sorry for every mother who has to go through it. Especially me!

    Answer by HaydensMommy708 at 11:53 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

  • It should be based on both parents income and the time the child spends living with each parent.

    I had primary custody of our daughter. She lived with me 90% of the time. When my ex did pay child support (and that wasn't very often) he always thought he was REALLY helping out with his $200. He never realized how many times I handed her $5.00 or $10.00 to go have pizza with friends or buy a snack at a ballgame or paying for school pictures. Hell, he NEVER helped with the orthodontist or medical bills.

    Answer by Dyndudes at 12:09 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

  • I agree with Dyndudes, I think it should be all according to the income, where you live, and everyone's personal situation, kind of like the way food stamps works. (If it is like this anywhere, sorry, I don't know much about it.)

    Answer by caitxrawks at 12:14 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

  • I've always felt that it should be a 50/50 split of the child(ren)'s expenses. The way I've always felt they should do it, is to take the amount of rent, food, electric, etc. and calculate. For example, I have 2 kids. So 2/3 rent, 2/3 food, 2/3 electric would be for them. So take those 2/3 of everything, split it in half, and that's his share, and I'm responsible for the other half. Make sense? And then any medical bills, health insurance, school supplies, etc. that come up should be a 50/50 split unless one parent wants to take full responsibility for that expense, or in the case of health insurance, if the parent is able to get it at no cost.

    Answer by tropicalmama at 2:52 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

  • The main consideration that should be taken into account is that the child can be provided for in the same manner AFTER the divorce as BEFORE the divorce. Meaning......

    If the two parents spent approximately $400 on a child every month before the divorce (food, clothes, shelter, medical, etc) then they should still spend $400 on the child after the divorce. Then the $400 should be pro rated based on the income of the parents and the time the child spends with each parent.

    In not all cases does the father pay child support. I know of two situations where the mother pays the father because she makes more money.

    Answer by Dyndudes at 4:42 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

  • my hubby's child support is 650/month plus he handles healthcare coverage and any healthcare expenses that aren't covered by insurance have to be 50/50 with him and his ex.

    Answer by rhianna1708 at 4:53 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.