Sleeping Issues

My daughter will be 2 in Sept. She has always been so terrifed of her crib so she always slept in her bassinet until she was one, and started trying to get out of her bassinet. So i did the worst thing I could have and just started letting her sleep with us in our bed. YES I KNOW.. I KNOW. I've managed to get her off the bottle at a yr and the paci a month ago. I dont know how to go about getting her to sleep in her own bed in her own room. I've tried a toddler bed but she just jumps out of that bed and comes running in our room. SHould I put her crib back up until she gets comfortable sleeping on her own?? I need some suggestions please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• could you try laying next to her in her room while she's in the toddler bed and each night moving a little further away? I don't really know since my son will not even attempt to sleep with me ( his choice ) but still fights every night to even go to bed -I am dreading the toddler bed time
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:45 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• i have a one yaer old son who sleeps with me also.but i put his matress in my room by itself and he sleeps on it fine .try to put the bed in your room then in a little while move it to her room
    chera135

Answer by chera135 at 12:34 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I guess I am a toughy...my suggestion is start her off napping in the crib during the day. Then at night put her in the crib once she is a bit sleepy and do something she likes like rub her back a while. She IS going to cry. She is going to cry ALOT at first. She will be fine but once you start...do not go back in and take her out of the crib and put her in bed with you. She'll learn she will get what she wants if she just screams long enough. It's ok if she cries more than 30 minutes. She's not going to die. If you think she might like it, get a fun nightlight or something that makes "pictures" on the ceiling once the lights are off. Our oldest daughter had those stars that glow on her ceiling. The other babies just seem distracted by things like that and do better when laid down in the dark. It is healthy for her to learn to self soothe. I would advise starting this on Friday night and work the weekend.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• That was NOT the worst thing. Stop thinking that. Babies are PROGRAMMED to stay with their parents. It can be argued that putting them in a crib is unnatural.

There is a FABULOUS article on drjaygordon.com on transitioning baby from the family bed. Check it out.

And STOP telling yourself you did a bad thing. YOU DID NOT.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:44 PM on Aug. 21, 2009