my 19 year old is moved in with girlfriend is it selfish to ask for rent

chera135

Asked by chera135 at 12:19 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• Absolutely not! They want to be adults, they need to live like it. IMO they are in the real world, and with that comes responsibilities. So don't feel selfish!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:21 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• If he moved in with you and brought his girlfriend then I would EXPECT him to pay something, be it rent, utilities, all the groceries and toiletries, whatever you think he needs to pay. There is nothing wrong with that at all, he is more than of age to help, especially if he brought in another mouth to feed so to speak
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 12:24 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• My sister is 20 and lives with me. for 2 years now, she has paid $200 a month. It's not alot, but it teaches her that nothing is free.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 3:24 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• he wants to act grown, let him do grown-up things. Like paying rent.
    p3rdone

Answer by p3rdone at 10:56 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Not in the least! If he wants adult responsibilities then he should pull his share of the load. I personally would accept nothing less and would also expect help with food, chores, etc. In these tought times especially everyone needs to pitch in.
    MamaJules1955

Answer by MamaJules1955 at 1:45 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I would expect him to pony up, also I would expect him and her to do all yard work and to help with household chores. Food expenses would be part of the room and board, I would also expect them to take in consideration house rules-discussed before they moved in. IMO they want adult privileges with Mom and Dad still footing the bill like they were children, AIN'T GOIN' HAPPEN IN MY HOUSE!!!!! The balance is going to be in my favor not in theirs! You are not being selfish you are continuing their education.shrugging

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• No... Im 22 and my mothers been charging me rent since I turned 18. I also buy my own food and take care of my own expenses. They are adults and especially if your son brought his girlfriend in, you shouldnt be taken advantage of and it isnt your job to be taking care of your son and his girlfriend. Electricity, water, food, all that stuff adds up. Try comparing monthly bills and you'll see what I mean.
    Good luck.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 3:32 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• being grown up means gaining responsibilities. So yes charge them rent. If you dont lay down some responsibilities than he will just take advantage, and he may never move!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• my hubby and our 13 month old son live with my MIL and FIL. we do not pay rent, because her life's goal was to have her grandchildren grow up near her. if we did not live here, we would never see her, because she works grave yard, and my hubby works days. because she planned for us to be here, we have our own house in the house(an add on from the original house) i am a sahm, and i do ALL of the house keeping,no one cleans up after them selves, except my hubby, to an extent. so weather you ask for rent or not, it is up to you. do you want to let him and his GIRLFRIEND, ride on easy street until they break up, or do you want to teach them to be responsible?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:44 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Nope! I started paying rent as soon as I graduated... It was 250 a month and 50 of it was put into a savings account for me. I would charge each and then keep some back for your son for when he moves out later.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:02 PM on Aug. 26, 2009