Is it terrible to drink almost a pot of coffee during the day while nursing twins?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Only if it keeps them awake or upsets their tummies. If they are showing no effects then you are lucky and it's probably fine. I have heard caffeine affects milk supply but I'm not sure if that is true...Good job with the nursing twins BTW!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:44 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• If you don't notice any negative effects, I think it's fine. I drink quite a few cups myself, and nursed two kids.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:46 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• although there is no way to know exactly how much caffeine your wee ones are getting, it IS passed through breast milk. i will say this though- when troy was very little, i DID drink about the same amount of coffee a day (maybe more), and has has had no lasting ill effects. however, when i cut back while i was nursing him, he did go through caffeine withdrawals and was slightly miserable. it did affect his sleep patterns, and so it also affected mine... not, its not good for them, but the world won't end either. as far as i am concerned (not that my opinion matters) it is much better for them to get what nature intended with a little caffeine, than processed cows milk, corn syrup solids, stabilizers, and enough iron to make them constipated.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:46 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• a pot is a lot but a few cups is prob fine
    MummyOf2ooo

Answer by MummyOf2ooo at 1:54 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Well, it would be a cruel joke to deny a new mom coffee when you never get sleep! I drank a lot, not a whole pot a day, but def. a few cups and my DD never seemed to mind. Are they sleeping ok?
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:46 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• As long as your babies can tolerate it, by all means, drink it! You have TWINS, you need it! lol.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 3:03 PM on Aug. 21, 2009