Will using a breast pump help my milk come in before my baby is born?

My doctor suggested I use nipple stimulation to help get my contractions going better. I have some colostrum coming out but not milk. Will this help my milk come in? Or will that only happen when my baby is born?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Your milk will come when the baby is born.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• i think it should really only happen after the baby is born because it is due to a change in hormones that occurs only after the baby and placenta have left your body.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I don't know if the milk will come in heavier before your baby is born, but your baby needs that colustrum in the beginning. it has a lot of immunities and nutrients, and it's more fatty
    codysmama2609

Answer by codysmama2609 at 12:32 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• no, it will stay colostrum until after birth- you can leak colostrum for months before delivery. manual nipple stimulation will bring on stronger contractions than a breast pump will though...

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• no. your milk wont come in for 3-5 days after the baby is born. thats y you have colustrum, for the first few days. and nipple stimulation doesnt always work and if it does the contractions are worse.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:46 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• pumping before hand will cause contractions...the milk doesnt come in till after the baby because your body needs to produce oxytocin to cause the milk to come in so pumping will do nothing to get milk to come in just put you into labor and i guess if thats what your trying to do you could try it but i wouldnt recommend it...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• No, it won't help. And the pumping prior can be very uncomfortable! :-( Is there a reason you should induce? Did your doctor give you instructions? Are you already in early labor?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:10 PM on Aug. 21, 2009