advise on taking away the bottle

my son is one and he drinks out of a cup just fine but he wont let go of his bottle at night.he will scream until u give it to him help plrase

chera135

Asked by chera135 at 12:37 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i never tried, heard it too late but heard another woman suggest once
    put something he does not like in bottle, like prune juice before bed and he will not like it and not like bottle??

does he have another security item, maybe keep this just for night time
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 12:54 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Quit giving it to him. He knows if he screams long enough you will cave in and give him what he wants. You're not setting a very good precedent here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Is he just a year or is he closer to 2? My youngest one kept his night time and morning bottle till about 15 mos. old and used a cup the rest of the time. But I never laid him in the crib with it so he had to sit in one place with it if he wanted it. Didn't take him long to realize he wanted to be mobile. Not that he could walk around with a cup, but he could have the cup in the room where he was playing and take a drink at will. Even after he gave up the bottle he still liked to sit on my lap and have his first drink of the morning and last drink at night. Give it a little more time.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 1:40 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• when the time came for both of my boys (when they were 1) I got rid of the bottle and pacifier but just throwing them all out. They were not in the house so there was no way my boys would see them. My youngest searched the house for them and when he realized they were all gone he was fine with it. You just have to stick to your guns. when you say NO MORE BOTTLES you have to mean it. Yes your child may cry but oh well, it won't be the first time they cry and it won't be last!
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 1:42 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• at walmart they have this sippy cup the has a bottle like nipple give that to him and then box up his bottles and put them away. my daughter is 16 months and thats what i did with her and it worked great the sippy cup brand name is nuby
    MarissaDavis29

Answer by MarissaDavis29 at 1:56 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I know it will be hard the first couple of nights but when he cries for it don't give it to him. Just pack them away. He cries for them because he knows you will give it to him, once he knows you're not going to give it to him he will stop.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 4:50 PM on Aug. 21, 2009