Does anyone else here try to do "school work" with their 4 yr old???

I saw a bunch of really cool pre-K and preschool workbooks at my local dollar store. I brought them home and my daughter is really into it. Could this take the place of preschool if I get her to the library story times and I also have her enrolled in a Kid Rocks class where they play songs dance and stuff like that. preschool is REALLY expensive here, and I can give her 1 on 1 attention. Any thoughts ladies? Has anyone done anthing like this? Thanks for any replys, help ot ideas!

juliehopper

Asked by juliehopper at 12:37 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My dd4 does go to preschool 2 days per week, and yes it is very expensive! But we also have those preschool books you are talking about and she loves them...we do it more for fun, but I think if you set aside time each day to learn new things she'll do just as well as if she went to preschool. She'll just miss out on the school environment, but she'll catch right up when she starts kindergarten. I think they want kids to be spelling their names by kindergarten...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:44 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Basically, you're talking about homeschooling her for pre-k. Yes, you can do it. The class you mentioned & library story times will be good socialization for her. You can do trip to local museums, investigate nature in your own backyard, play fun, educational games, etc. Starfall.com is a great website for teaching reading. It has fun, interactive books & is free. She can learn (or practice) colors while playing with her toys or while out & about with you. You can work on counting, sorting & sequencing with her toys (blocks, legos, etc.). At this age, a lot can be learned through playing. The workbooks from the dollar store or Walmart can also be very useful, as long as she enjoys doing them.
    There is nothing a preschool can offer her that you can't do at home. You can help her learn everything she needs for Kinder (and more) & can make sure she gets social opportunities with other kids & adults.
    busygoddess

Answer by busygoddess at 12:49 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• You can do it. I am a preschool teacher and can give you what a 4 yr old should be learning and know before Kindergarten. PM me and I will get you the info.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:54 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• It depends on the child like my son and yeah boys are often harder he was impossible for me to teach, but my 4 yr old is so easy and she learns so quick! We pulled her from preschool last year and I worked with her and she did preschool program type classes through the city. The main thing with preschool is it gets them in a school setting with other kids learning rules, sharing, and academics. My daughter is easy to teach so honestly with her I was more concerned about her socializing than academics, but with my son I was more interested in them teaching him. So its different for every kid and some kids just do better with others than their parents.

ALSO starfall.com is awesome! My 4 yr old is starting to read now but we used this alot with my son in kinder last year!!!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 1:50 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Of course you can do it! I was never sent to preschool, my mother and older sister taught me before K. I never sent my daughters (age 10 and 7 now) to preschool. We did "school time" and had "field trips". My twin boys are almost 3 and I plan on starting them at home with "school time" as I did with my girls. I do agree with the library time, and i love the idea of the kids rock, I will have to look into my area for one. I just find baby einstein type shows and we dance and sing in the living room.
    MsKari77

Answer by MsKari77 at 8:40 PM on Aug. 23, 2009