6 month old and solids

curious as to what other moms are doing with thier 6 month olds. I started my daughter out on some rice cereal at 4 1/2 months...took her about a month to "like" it.At She is now 6 months old and I have tried her on a variety of pureed veggies.No go. She acts like she is going to vomit when she gets a single taste,lol. I'm not giving up though, i keep trying.I took her to pediatrician on Tuesday for shots, I explained to him what was going on.He said to start giving her cheerios and puffs.She does have 4 teeth already.He said he would like to see her getting more of her nutrition from foods by 7 months rather than the formula, which she is still eating bottles of 6 oz about every 3 hours.She does like baby yoplait yogurt,rice cereal..and well, thats about it.She does'nt even like baby bananas!I fear I have a picky one here,lol.Anyone else ever have this issue and what did you do and what worked?All opinions/ideas welcome!! :)

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 1:29 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd just wait a bit longer. If she keeps refusing, she's probably not ready, and will likely let you know when she is. That's just what I would do though.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:34 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• If the doctor wants nutrition from food, then he wants you to start offering table foods. (teeth don't matter at this age,by the way...you don't chew with your front teeth)

She's only taking 6oz every 3 hours and he wants you to cut that back? Sorry..but I'd be looking for a new pediatrician. Her nutrition is supposed to be formula at this stage. It's not common that a baby is ready for all table foods at 7 months.

I wouldn't worry about baby foods, though. Try diced up pieces of what you're eating every so often. Make sure it's stuff she's already been tried on, and to only offer one new food at a time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I thought it was kinda strange as well that he suggested her getting more of her nutrition from foods by 7 months.Thats why I'm asking other moms.I had no troubles with my son when he began eating solids, he took to it right away and still sucked down his bottles until he was a year old.He was a good, healthy eater.So this picky baby of mine is new to me,lol. I suppose when she is ready, she'll eat other stuff. I'm just worried that I'll have a veggie hater,lol. I thought at this age,basically foods other than formula given was mostly for "practive" ,to learn how to eat...not so much for the nutrition.Oh well, she's healthy,at 50 percentile weight and 75 percentile length and is developing quite well so I guess I shouldn't worry to much,lol.THanks for your answers! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:58 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• lol have you ever tried what you are trying to feed her?? I am a mom of a four year old, a seven mo old and one on the way, I try a taste of everything my kids eat, lol YUCK!! for the most [part, some brands of food are better than other both my kids hated delmonte, tolarate gerber, and love beachnut brands. both my kids loved the sweet [potatoes or anything that had them in it. Never give u[p trying to feed your little one. LOl it may be a mess at times but make it fun. Be silly when you try to feed her, lol i know crazy mom here but smile and tell her she is a good baby when she eats a bite, lol or [play around and act like you are going to eat a s[poonfull, then [po[p it into her mouth. acting like the s[poon was a train worked for my son. One great thing is the bibsters, bibs that you just throw away also what hel[ps if you had your little one a s[poon to that way she has something to do. This is just what i have done
    Saberlilly

Answer by Saberlilly at 2:19 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Does your baby have teeth?? How about finger foods......teething buiscuts, cooked carrots, sweet potatoes(cut up) melons, french fries, bread, any gerber graduate foods for support sitter and crawlers. My son wanted to feed himself early. Just experiment with different things. They get bored with the same things.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 5:40 PM on Aug. 21, 2009