When your kid is bigger than you

My Step son is 15 and is way taller than I am, really though him and I have gotten along fairly well and he has lived with us full time for 3 years now. He is a good 3 inches or so taller than his dad and it seems as though this has given him a reason to think he can do what he wants and even act aggressive towards dh. He has gotten right in his face, cursed, even recently half way shoved his dad when he didn't get his way. It worries me that he is like this and I worry about it getting worse and escalating into a fight.
Now dh is still fairly young 32, and I know he can hold his own if something were to happen, but is this normal for teen boys to be this way, to be this aggressive? Is there something we can do ? I am really concerned.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• Our 12, almost 13 yr old is taller than me but I have made it clear since he was a baby that NO MATTER how big he gets I will always be the boss. I demand respect and your Husband should. He's still a child no matter how big he is and if he needs to be reminded then treat him like a 2 yr old and see what happens. Time out, taking things away, etc.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:45 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Honestly he is 15 you said?
    It truely is a teen thing. Boys are aggresive.
    I would tho if it is to much have him see a counsilor SP?? to talk about anger issues.
    My brothers had too at that age
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I have the same problem, Im 5'7 and 130......my son, 15, 5'10 and 235. He has gone through the Im almost grown stage and I reminded him in maybe a not so nice way that I AM MOM, I am the BOSS and I will NOT tolerate that kind of behavior. Dont let him think he is stronger than you or dh. If he gets physical, I would put him on the floor and let him know he cannot push me around, but thats just me. ( i dont mean beat him by any means, I mean just remind him he isnt grown yet)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Knock him on his ass and show him who's boss. He thinks his height gives him the advantage. Your husband has to show the BOY that Daddy still rules the roost.

I'm not saying to beat him, or anything. Literally...when the boy pushes, he pushes back and knock him on his ass.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• While I think what anon :50 said is funny as hell && i've said the same things, if his father was to go back and push him on his ass or even hit him he is still a minor and it is child abuse even if he is bigger than the father.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:30 PM on Aug. 21, 2009